Thread: Electric Underfloor Heating

Automated Home Lurker

Default Electric Underfloor Heating

Found this forum and wanted to post about our new underfloor heating. We have recently fitted (in the last month) Electric Underfloor Heating, the results are fantastic. I was a bit concerned that it would not be suitable as a full heating system for the house - but thankfully I was very wrong.

We bought it from a Company called Handyheat www.handyheat.co.uk who from the beginning were fantastic, very knowledgeable and helpful. I spoke to a few of the sales team and each one seemed to have a very good understanding of what would work best for me and results have proved them right. If they can ever read forums - many thanks guys and girls.

I ordered the system for the house and the next working day I received my order. Although I waited about 10 days for the Carbon Heating for the Wooden flooring areas. But this is a bespoke system and when I was told 10 days I was more than happy. The system was easy to fit although we called an electrician to fit the thermostats, but apart from that it was very painless. We considered a wet system but were told part of our floor was going to dug up to allow the water system to be fitted, no thanks!!

All in all we are now lovely and warm and have worked out the running costs and once again even the wife is happy. Sorry to go on but this stuff is fantastic.

Default Re: Electric Underfloor Heating

Hi 8ftmouse

Are you using Home Automation to monitor your heating?

How do you control it?

Thanks

M.

Automated Home Lurker

Hi no I am using the Aube Thermostats http://www.handyheat.co.uk/underfloo...thermostat.htm - one in each room or Zone as they call them. There is an option to link them to a control panel and have the heating controlled centrally. This is an option I did consider but it works really well as it is. The thermostas/controllers look very daunting but come with Full very easy to use step by step set up instuctions.

And they look fantastic on the wall - there is even a holiday function which I personally think is genius, i.e. you pre-program the stat and when you go away you simply press this button and walk away. While you are away your heating comes on/off without having to worry about it.

Thanks for your interest - loving the forum lots of good advice on here

Rgds

I have to agree and say that Handy Heat are an excellent company, I've dealt with them and they are so helpful.
    If you haven't automated your heating yet then you might be interested to know that Aube (the makers of the thermostat supplied) also do a remote controlled version. What this does is switch from vacation setting to normal programmed setting. Its very similar to the TH132-F which possibly came with your heating system. The TH115 has the remote function, its just a dry contact closure and a built in ground fault indicator. Aube's website is www.aubetech.com
    Instruction manual is at http://www.aubetech.com/manuel/2/TH115-A-F-AF.pdf

Automated Home Lurker

I think the TH115 is an unusual shape and doesn't fit into a standard uk socket box. I'd looked at this stat as a replacement but found i couldn't get an electrician to certify it for that reason.

As i was doing my whole house, Handy heat gave me an option to use the TH134 controller which is like a TH132, but uses the TH131 to control the local temperature of each room. All you need is an 18AWG data cable from the 134 to the 131. You can control up to 30 TH131 stats on each TH134. The drawback with the TH134 is that you can only break these 30stats into 3 opperating zones. I wanted more independant timing controls for each room so In the end i went for TH132's in each room, but in hind sight i could have used a combination of the 2 systems.

I must sound like the Aube product manual, but when you do these things you do tend to research to the point of becomming an "anorak!!!"

One thing though which I considered to be unecessary was the insulation, but after hearing of a friend of mine fitting Underfloor heating on a sub-concrete floor - lets just say it did not work very well...I soon decided with Handyheats advice and after looking on their http://www.handyheat.co.uk/underfloor_heating/faq.htm#7 FAQs it was simply essential if the sub floor was for example concrete.. It only took the floor up an extra 10mm in the areas which required insulation 13mm if you include the cable. But the difference from my friends made it a very reasonable purchase.

I read a post somewhere in the www that they are struggling to find new sources of Gas - so I hope to be ahead of the game having the whole house underfloor heating.

What did you buy from Handyheat?
    I have to agree and say that Handy Heat are an excellent company, I've dealt with them and they are so helpful
    I have passed their details onto a few friends, I liked the non pushy sales they were happy to just advise me and I went away with lots of good advice before making up my mind. But being able to place my sofa anywhere in the room without worrying about radiators is fantastic.

rgds

I'm having an extension built. An office for me and a bedroom above it. My wife is expecting our second child in May. So I took the plunge and went for electric underfloor heating for both rooms. I'm looking into changing my stat for a 115, so I can automate my office.
    I used to work in the Oil exploration business, and at the moment its good for the Oil Exploration industry. Companies are desparate to find new reserves. And I'm affraid $80 for a barrel of oil will happen, probably within the next 5 to 10 years. So gas and oil based heating systems will get more expensive to run. A barrel holds 159 litres out of which about 74 litres turns into petrol and 34 litres turns into Diesel fuel. The rest is turned into lubricants, LPG, fuel oil, and bitumen. A bit off topic I know, but before someone asked what a barrel of oil contained etc.....

Automated Home Lurker

Hi Toscal,

Have you been reading the 'Shell Oil Brochure' heh - at least there are plenty of power stations around to keep my wife all toasty and warm. I have become acustomed to walking round in shorts and T shirt, as the wife seems to enjoy making the house feel like we live in barbados. I cannot complain though the kitchen floor used to be like torture if you walked on it bare footed.

I actually spoke to Handyheat this afternoon (a guy called Iain Riley - very knowledgable - think he swallowed a few user manuals in his time 8O ) , I saw on their site they sell mirror demisters seem too good to be true 1 weeks usage for 2-3 pence? I have ordered one to see how good it is. http://www.handyheat.co.uk/underfloo..._demisters.htm I will be able to shave now without having to rub the mirror with the wifes dressing gown. (she doesnt wear it when I use it ops: )

Automated Home Lurker

Now have my mirror demister installed what a superb product, these are the things which sit behind the mirrors in Posh hotels but got mine for £59 and covers about 90% of my mirror. To my mind it is the best 59£ i have ever spent. :P