Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAT5e - Ethernet, BT Telephone Wiring - HELP!

Automated Home Lurker

Default CAT5e - Ethernet, BT Telephone Wiring - HELP!

Hi there,

I am very new to this so please bear with me.

I am going to get my house totally rewired. I have already decided to get CAT5e put through the walls for ethernet - I am totally comfortable with this (other members of my family have already done this).

However, my question is about running a totally separate CAT5e network just phone the BT phone line.

This is something no one I know has experience in. After doing a considerable amount of research, I think it's true that the cable will come out at the wall as an RJ45 socket, and I can either use a RJ45-->BT plug adapter, or cut of the plug on the BT phone and crimp it to RJ45.

However, I am not sure how the CAT5e should be wired at the wall in order for it to work with a BT phone. I intend to buy solid UTP CAT5e, and so I'd like to know how the 4 pairs go into the RJ45 CAT5e insert.

I also wanted to know what happens at the other end. Where does all the CAT5e for the phone line go? I've read a lot about a "patch panel". What does this do and how does it work?

And finally, can I still use ADSL on this CAT5e BT phone line, like I am at the moment? Currently, I use a microfilter to split voice and data on the standard BT line - is it just the same thing when there's CAT5e in the walls?

I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks,

Bhav.

Default Re: CAT5e - Ethernet, BT Telephone Wiring - HELP!

Here is a link for wiring of Cat5e cables
    http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5e.aspx
    And here is a tutorial link
    http://www.lanshack.com/cat5e-tutorial.aspx
    You can buy a CAT5e to BT adapter I know RS sells them, the RS order codes are
    243-027 for the full master socket
    243-011 for a PABX master socket
    242-989 for a secondary socket.
    Depending on the method of telephone distribution you use you may be able to plug an RJ11 telephone lead directly into the RJ45 socket. But the easiest way is probaly to use an adapter if you have BT plugs on the end or your leads.
    The Patch panel is where you select which room has telephone etc. This is done by using a small RJ45 patch cord. You just connect one end to the telephone distribution module and the other end to a socket that then has a CAT5 cable going to it and terminating in a socket in the relavent room. (Hope this makes sense)
    On the Lanshack website there is another tutorial/example on home networking.
    Have a look at the Abitana website at www.abitana.com then select english and look in the support menu for examples of home network solutions.
    Just a word of warning Abitana doesn't use a normal Cat5e cable their omni media cable is a slightly modified CAt5e cable, which allows it to carry the extra signals such as video and TV.

Here are some sites on Telephone wiring
    http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/guide/connections.asp

Good luck

Automated Home Lurker

Wow some fantastic links and info there. I really appreciate it.

One more question: Would ADSL still work in the same way even though I've got CAT5e in the wall instead of POTS? In other words, do I still connect a microfilter to split voice and data? (I assume the microfilter would go in the RJ45-->BT adapter)

243-027 for the full master socket
    243-011 for a PABX master socket
    242-989 for a secondary socket.
    What are the differences? Which ones do I use in certain situations?

It depends on how you distribute the telephone lines as to where you put the filters. Will you be using a direct method or use a small telephone to CAT5 distribution module.
    Its been a long time since I did any BT phone stuff, I now live in Spain. But you need one master socket and then connected from this are your secondary or slave sockets. The difference in the sockets is that a master I think has the anti-tinkling capacitor and sometimes a surge protector depending on who makes them. What I would do is use a master socket at the patch panel end and daisy chain some RJ45 sockets of this. And then use secondary adapters in the rooms. As I have said its been a long time since I have played with BT phone stuff, but that should work.
    I'm in the process of installing the Abitana system in my house.
    The method I will be using is the phone line gets split into 2 lines at the patch panel. One goes to the phone distribution module and the other goes to my ADSl modem and router. Then its just a matter of patching the relavant signal, and you only need one filter at the input of the phone module.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks very much. I believe I will be going with the daisychain method, and so I will use the secondary adapter (if I've correctly understood what you're saying).

RS is This retailer right? When registering with them, it asks for company name, address etc. Do they only do trade?

Do you know of any online retailers that sell wall panels/outlets? I found a few sites but they looks really ugly.

Yes thats the retailer, they have a consumer outlet called Electromail but it doesn't seem to be still going, any one out there know.
    The adapters are made by Krone.
    Maplin also sells them www.maplin.co.uk
    part numbers are
    Order Code Description
    UN27E Full Master Socket with line protection
    UN28F PABX Master Socket w/o line protection
    UN29G PABX Slave Socket only
    You might want to have a look at www.minitran.co.uk they offer virtually everything for the home and business networks. Look at their mini 5 range. They also do the adapters on their Voice products page then just choose from the sub menu.

Automated Home Lurker

minitran is a fantastic site.

Thank a lot, I appreciate it.

Automated Home Jr Member

RS will happily sell to the great unwashed :wink:

I think it would be best not to do anthing unusual with the wiring of any RJ45 sockets, that would mean they could only work as telephone points (ie stick with the 568A or 568B standard). That way you can change the function of the socket later (just swap the patch cable over in the patch panel!)

Although if you know where you will want to put phones, you don't have to use RJ45 sockets anyway. If you are using modular face plates (ie where you clip in an RJ45 "module"), there are BT socket modules available.

Extra or temporary phone points can always be accommodated later on by using an RJ45 adapter in a normal socket.

There are many uses for RJ45/cat5 wiring beyond just ethernet and telephones though, so put in as much as you possibly can. Cable and sockets are cheap compared to the hassle and cost of the installation. You can always find a use for it later... :lol:

Jim

Automated Home Lurker

I too am fairly new to this ops:

However, my final hurdle to completing my understanding/wiring is how to run from one Master (BT) socket to several RJ45 points via my patch panel. I understand the need for LJU Slaves at each RJ45 end socket.

I think the answer lies in you reply "What I would do is use a master socket at the patch panel end and daisy chain some RJ45 sockets of this" but I need more guidance....please.

Gracias

John

John,

You might find the links in this post useful:
    http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/modul...ewtopic&t=1037
    (I apologise for directing you to another message full of links, but I think it's the only place they are collated)

The first link shows the back of a patch panel with the wiring daisy chained over it, the second link talks about what wire goes where (between BT socket and patch panel).

Do post again though if anything in these other threads is unclear :-)

HTH,

Tim.