• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kix
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2006

Another Newbie lost in the world of HA!

I have been looking into home automation for a while now, and am very eager to get started and was just going to by some basic x-10 stuff to get started. Trouble is I can't even decipher which computer interface is best or most current, or what additional programs/networks I should look into.

Basically right now I would like an x-10 type system, with access to exterior motion lights, interior lights and appliances, etc. Perhaps some webcam motion logging as well. Seems easy enough with x-10, but is that what I should go with? Is there something better yet affordable out there? What controller software would you recommend?

Also, I would like to distribute music to a couple of locations from my PC. I currently onhly have one PC and a Pocket PC PDA with 802.1b wireless access to my PC. Is there any systems/software packages that sound right for my application?

I appreciate any advice, as I have been wandering websites for too long with no direction.
  • FrankMcAlinden
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2004

Re: Another Newbie lost in the world of HA!

Hi

Check out the xPL ,There are links on there to some x10 interface drivers...i think the cm11....Theres lots of plugins for common hardware and its all FREE.....

Also for Media control check out Medianet..... This also can be controlled via xPL.......

HTH
    Frank
    Home of FirM - the Multi Zone IR Transport System
    http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/index.html

Comment

• vex
      Automated Home Guru
      • Feb 2005

Look at SONOS for wifi music distribution throughout your house.

A great little system when you already have the music stored on your own system.

Chris
      www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
      NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• Otto-Mate
        Founder
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by vex
        Look at SONOS for wifi music distribution throughout your house.
        Read our long-term review of the Sonos system here...

M.
        Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
        www.twitter.com/ottomate
        www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Re: Another Newbie lost in the world of HA!

For X10 control you can't beat the Homevision controller. This is a stand alone controller and only requires a PC for seting up, and for the webserver. My runs 24/7 and so far has run flawlessly. Take a look at their website at www.csi3.com
          Another stand alone controller is the Ocelot, in my view not quite as good as the homevision, but they do share many of the same features. Its just as reliable but can be hard to program if your not used to ladder logic. I've actually been on a Siemens Simatic programming course (ladder logic stuff) so in theory the Ocelot should have been reasonably easy for me to program. But I found it quite hard, especially to de bug longer programs properly. Saying that, my Ocelot now sits at a friend's house controlling his security lighting system.
          For PC based Homeseer is probably the best, especially when you couple it with main lobby. You can get a really cool fron end. www.homeseer.com and for main lobby www.cinemaronline.com . There is a version of main lobby that will run on a pocket PC.
          If you want just music then I think the Sonos is the way to go. Especially if you have a large MP3 collection.
          But, something I recommend to my clients is, have a think, about possible future needs. ie video distribution etc. I use a Pinnacle Showcenter to access my media, so I can play Divx videos etc on my TV as well as mp3s and internet radio. In theory you can have more than one showcenter connected to the server, but I don't know anyone who has tried it.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
          X