Thread: HEATING CUTS OUT. WATER TANK VERY HOT!

Automated Home Lurker

Default HEATING CUTS OUT. WATER TANK VERY HOT!

Hello,
    From cold when the heating comes on each morning I get hot water and heat, but when the system gets hot, I find the heating pump goes off. If I turn the hot water tank thermostat up, the pump starts again. Unfortunately this means I have very hot water and I guess a large heating bill if I dont fix it. Is it the water tank thermometer that needs replacing or the 3 way valve. How can I test each to identify the problem?

Default Re: HEATING CUTS OUT. WATER TANK VERY HOT!

are you saying that you can't have hot water only?

or when you turn the cylinder stat up yhe heating comes back on?

Automated Home Lurker

I cant continue the heating unless I turn up the water tank temperature, this leaves a cold house and near boiling water

This could be a thermostat problem. If you turn off the Hot water completely does the Central heating still work.
    Have you had any work done recently on the system, say in the last couple of months.

What make is the 3 way valve (honeywell?)

Automated Home Lurker

I haven't had any work done on the system and it is a Honeywell valve. When the system is hot it won't allow the heating to run on its own, I have to increase the tank thermostat. When starting from cold, the system will allow the heating to come on by itself, but heats the water as well, then the tank gets hot and the heating cuts out again until I increase the tank thermostat again.

Automated Home Jr Member

Sounds a bit like your 3 port valve could be stuck in hot water mode.

If you switch from all off to heating only, can you hear the valve powerhead motor running?

Does the boiler light with the just the heating on?

There's a couple of microswitches in the valve power head. When heating and/or hot water is called for, the powerhead motor turns the valve to the appropriate position, and in doing so operates the microswitches.

If the powerhead either can't turn the valve (because it's jammed), or has burnt out, the microswitches don't get operated, and the pump/boiler never get the signal to pump/light.

You can usually buy either a new powerhead on its own, or a whole new valve & powerhead together. If the valve is jammed, or even a little sticky, the powerhead motor can/will eventually burn out. In which case it's better to replace the whole thing - a new powerhead on an old valve will probably burn out in the same way.

Replacing the valve means draining your heating system down. The powerhead contains mains voltages. If you're not absolutely sure what that implies, suggest you get a plumber to fix it :wink:

Jim

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks Jim, I can hear the valve motor trying to work, but never having drained the system I have called a plumber, and I can watch how he does it for future problems. Thanks again for your advice. Alan.

Automated Home Lurker

I switched between heat and water a few times and now it seems to have freed up what must have been a sticking valve and is now working fine, Thanks for your help.

Automated Home Jr Member

Glad to hear it. Hope it doesn't decide to stick again just as it turns cold again...

(Of course if it were me, it would wait for the coldest night of the year and then break at 5:31pm... :roll: )

Jim