Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: First UKHA Idratek Install

  1. #1
    Moderator Gumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    437

    Default First UKHA Idratek Install

    Could this be the first UKHAer Idratek install ? Got the X10 gateway operating DIN rail modules in enclosures in the loft:

    and network power fed to one of those "50's NHS" panels in the study, operating the lights at the moment:

    Much more to play with yet ...

  2. #2

    Default Re: First UKHA Idratek Install

    Gumby - thanks for the pics!

    How are you getting on with the system?

    Can you tell us a little about what you are doing with it?

    Thanks

    M.

  3. #3
    Moderator Gumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: First UKHA Idratek Install

    I literally just got the first modules running on Sunday. At the moment the panel is acting as an expensive light switch using "Reflex" program to be independant of the controller PC being up.

    It's all very much a work in progress - gated by the incremental rewiring of the house. Due to some of the house having been re-wired/ replastered before I realised the essential nature of HA, I have some limitations, or workarounds I have to do. But ultimately I plan to have the whole house and garden (watering, lighting) networked up.

    I'd put cables in some rooms months ago (as they were renovated) in anticipation (after last year's UKHA), but it has taken a while for the modules to become available. As an aside, the modules have had some changes as a result of UKHA feedback, the IR TRX module has headers to allow connection of external RX/TX, for example, and the faceplates are available in white.

    I had some trouble getting it going at first - eventually I traced it down to a flaky PC running the Cortex tool, which you need to program the Reflex actions. The PC had been slightly weird beforehand, so I should have known better, but the spare had Windows98 on it and I couldn't face going back there!

    At the moment the study panel is controlling 2 lights circuits in the room. Later on I'll connect the door switch as well, this allows some extra intelligence in the programming. There's also a point cabled up to potentially control the radiator valve once I get all the rooms done so that really sophisticated heating control makes sense.

    I've got a second panel to fit in the kitchen, probably, since the intercom function would be quite good - but if SWMBO approval vetoes that, then I'll fit individual units ie a switch panel in the usual place and the PIR/IR/Light functions in the ceiling. That is dependant on drilling a hole through a 1.5' thick solid stone wall, since the kitchen was rewired/replastered before I discovered all this stuff, so I'll need to back feed the box. Pity really, it would have been great to have some controlled outlet points - now I'll have to use an X10 appliance module for the espresso machine.

    I've also got a switch panel to go in the dining room, a discrete IRTX to go in the ceiling and shortly a discrete PIR to go alongside it. The wires are dropped, it's just a matter of time on that one. (ie more pics later ...)

    The X10 gateway can control lighting modules in the upstairs DIN rack. I'd already star-rewired all the upstairs lighting in anticipation of using DIN modules, so that's not too difficult. The lighting feeds are separately filtered at the consumer unit, so I'm hoping that will reduce any X10 noise issues. The idea is to use the Idratek modules relays to drive the "normal" X10 module switch plate inputs to get faster response than pure X10, and use X10 commands to change lighting levels in accordance with the programming. This is a workaround, since there are no Idratek dimmers available at the moment.

    At the moment I have a dimmer on the main bathroom lighting - which was actually a fix for the MK module not being man enough for the job - and one for the landing. Once I get a PIR into the landing ceiling, this will be configured to do the automatic night-time bathroom-visit program - you know what I mean !

    The rest of the house is dependant on dropping more wires. I'm running temporary surface wires at the moment so that I can debug any positioning issues before chasing in.

    The system is very powerful. One of the things that attracted me was a strong idea of "presence", so that actions are taken on the basis of human activity, not just timeclocks. However, for this to really work well, you need to get the whole house networked up. Because all the sensors are on a single bus system, the "program" can decide presence not just on PIRs, but also door contacts / beam breaks, switch pushes and IR activity.

    Needless to say, I'll keep you posted as things develop. With more pictures

  4. #4

    Default Re: First UKHA Idratek Install

    Thanks for the details Gumby.

    Please keep the photos and updates coming

    M.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •