Thread: New user with heating problem - HELP!

Automated Home Lurker

Default New user with heating problem - HELP!

Hi - Done a quick search and can't find specific info on my problem, hope someone is an expert and can help.....

I have a Potterton Puma combi boiler, this is linked to a Thermostat in the lounge where I can set the temp manually (Its got a round dial and it clicks when you exceed and go below the room temp). Well the heating stayed on all night even though the thermostat was set low around 12C.

The problem is the thermostat isn't switching the boiler on an off to suit the temperature, the boiler is going full steam all the time. The thermostat seems to be working as it clicks on and off when you reach room temp on the dial....

Any ideas? Knackered thermostat, knackered boiler? I'm not sure how these things are wired in??? :roll:

Default Re: New user with heating problem - HELP!

where is your boiler sited ? If it's sited in the garage it could be the frost stat that is keeping the boiler on.

Automated Home Lurker

The boiler is in the kitchen

has it always done this ,or just started?

Automated Home Lurker

It just started last night, instead of the heating turning down to 12C, it stayed on full pelt all night...

Automated Home Sr Member NeilUK's Avatar

Sounds like the room stat contacts may have welded closed or a problem on the boiler circuit board. Can you safely turn disconnect the thermostat cabling to see if that stops the heating? If it does then the stat will need replacing. If the boiler heating still runs then the fault is in the boiler.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for the info Guys - replaced the room stat and now everything is ok... replaced like for like (Honeywell T6360) Only cost a fiver too so chuffed!