Thread: Problem with programmer - heating does not turn off?

Automated Home Lurker

Default Problem with programmer - heating does not turn off?

We have a standard British Gas celsia F1 boiler upstairs and British Gas UP2 controller with a thermostat downstairs.

The hot water heats as programmed whilst the heating works all the time irrespective of the thermostat or time/controller. The thermostat still 'clicks' at the correct temps when turning the dial but the radiators are constantly hot and probably costing me a fortune in gas :cry:

I'm not sure how reliable the controller is .... this would probably be my 1st component to replace.

any ideas or suggestions on next steps?

cheers, andy

Default Re: Problem with programmer - heating does not turn off?

has it just started doing this or has it always done this?

Automated Home Lurker

The central heating seemed to start 'ignoring' the controller about 2 months ago. It stays on permanently ignoring the settings (and on/off override) whilst the hot water obeys the timings set in the controller.

The wife seems to remember that we had this problem 3 years ago, apparently the BG engineer replaced the controller. The system is 7 years old installed by BG.

Surely controllers should have a longer life than this? I wonder if there is something on the CH side that is burning out / breaking the controller quicker than normal. Obviously we are pleased that it has failed 'on' rather than 'off'!

Automated Home Lurker

Andy,
    Do you have separate motorised valves for HW and CH? If so, it could be that the valve for the CH is stuck open. These sometimes need to close before the power is cut to the boiler. It would also mean that your thermostat would not have any effect either.

It shouldn't be too hard to find out. Switch the power off completely and see if the paddle wheel moves. If it doesn't, then that's your problem.

Let me know how you get on.
    Alan.