How to use an X10 dimmer switch with a motion sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jondoig
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2006

How to use an X10 dimmer switch with a motion sensor?

I'm an X10 newbie, but I'm speccing the electricals for our new house and would like to use X10 to control lights from a remote and later on from an Ocelot or similar.

I plan to use a standard (non-X10) motion sensor, because I haven't found a wired X10 one and I want it 360 degree ceiling mounted anyway, which I have available locally.

Then I want a simple-looking wall switch like the Advanced Control Technologies TK334 (as long as it can run on 240V not 277??) and have it work as follows:
    • Touch ON: light goes on when motion sensor detects movement
      Touch ON again: light goes on regardless (motion sensor override)
      Touch OFF: light goes back onto motion sensor mode
      Touch OFF again: light goes off altogether

as well as:
    • press-and-hold-ON: bright
      press-and-hold-OFF: dim

How can I do this? Is there a nice-looking (Decora or otherwise) wall switch that can control two X10 addresses with one or two taps? Or could I use the TK334 or similar, but with some macro-capable controller?

TIA
    Jonathan
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: How to use an X10 dimmer switch with a motion sensor?

Take a look at the TC284 from ACT. This thing can do the following,
    Say motion detector is A1 and light is B1.
    You can set it up so that when ever the TC284 receives A1 ON it will trans mit B1 ON also you set Button 1 to the A1 trigger as well so if you press button 1 B1 will come on. Also you can set another button up so that it will just switch on B1 and have no trigger associated with it.. I think this unit will do most of what you want. It can do basic macro commands so if you have a set of commands you want to send it can do this as well.
    Also this unit is 240VAC. You will need a US style backbox and face plate, the decora ones fit perfectly. I can supply a white faceplate if you can't get one, but shipping from Spain may make it expensive for you if its just one, send me a PM if you are interested.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
    X