Thread: KAT5 - IR at multidrop locations/Hub- constructive criticism

Default KAT5 - IR at multidrop locations/Hub- constructive criticism

http://www.kat5.tv/modules.html

Please note that when used for Multidrop, the IR Pass Through and SCART Switching functions are disabled on that receiver.
    This is a real shame.

Also whats disappointing is you can't use an otherwise inexpensive RJ45 hub for multiple distribution.

Other than that, the KAT5 looked like the ideal thing I was looking for to replace my existing Digisender set up because of the occasional 2.4GHz and 433MHz interference I experience.

Default Re: KAT5 - IR at multidrop locations/Hub- constructive criti

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    http://www.kat5.tv/modules.html

Please note that when used for Multidrop, the IR Pass Through and SCART Switching functions are disabled on that receiver.
    This is a real shame.
    I am currently testing a slight design change that will allow IR and SCART switching to function even in multidrop configuration. I would suggest that most people would still disable or manually overide the SCART switching in a multidrop setup because it would be really annoying to be sitting watching TV and someone in another room selected SKY and your TV was "hijacked" to watch it was well !

Also whats disappointing is you can't use an otherwise inexpensive RJ45 hub for multiple distribution.
    If by RJ45 hub you mean an Ethernet hub, then that is not possible because KAT5 is NOT Ethernet based.

If you mean a few RJ45 sockets connected in parallel, then again that is not possible because each end of the cable run must be terminated to avoid signal reflections within the cable hence the requirement for multidrop to be run in a daisy chain configuration. Using a star wired arrangement would result in multiple terminations giving incorrect signal levels.

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Lurker

Default Re: KAT5 - IR at multidrop locations/Hub- constructive criti

Quote Originally Posted by katman
    I am currently testing a slight design change that will allow IR and SCART switching to function even in multidrop configuration. I would suggest that most people would still disable or manually overide the SCART switching in a multidrop setup because it would be really annoying to be sitting watching TV and someone in another room selected SKY and your TV was "hijacked" to watch it was well !
    Oh, I see the logic for the Scart switching, I was thinking it was AR switching anyway. Please keep us up to date with any IR developments in a multi drop configuration. I really need to have IR command at both slave end points because its handy being able to change the NTL cable channels from the kitchen and the bedroom, without having to go to the living room

Quote Originally Posted by katman
    If by RJ45 hub you mean an Ethernet hub, then that is not possible because KAT5 is NOT Ethernet based.
    I did mean Ethernet hub, point taken. Working in IT, I see RJ45 and immediately think of networks.... its pre-programmed in me I'm afraid. :wink: