Thread: High pitched whine from boiler/CH - any suggestions?

Automated Home Lurker

Default High pitched whine from boiler/CH - any suggestions?

My central heating system and combi boiler seem to run fine until I draw hot water (if the heating is on). A few seconds later a slow rumble starts in the boiler and builds to a high pitched whine which only stops when either the heating is turned off or I draw more hot water.
    Having read some earlier posts on here, I've turned the pump speed down from 3 to 1. This has lessened the noise, but it's still there.

The heating is via 6 radiators, 4 have TRVs, the other 2 have basic flow taps. I've tried every combination of having these valves open/closed but it seems to have no effect on the noise.

Any suggestion please on what this could be and how I fix it?

Default Re: High pitched whine from boiler/CH - any suggestions?

It sounds like the seating on the diverter valve is chattering, not something you should attempt your self unless you are ultra confident.
    what make of boiler is it?

Automated Home Lurker

with a warning like that I don't think I'll be tackling that in a hurry.
    It's a Protherm 80E

Automated Home Lurker

Have just found this site and as a registered heating engineer felt that I had to register and reply. I strongly suggest that you get a qualified CORGI registered engineer out to look at you boiler before you blow yourself and your family up. By turning the pump speed down you could easily overheat the boiler. I am amazed at the irresponsibility of people giving out advice on these sorts of sites when they have no real idea of what they are talking about and there is no way of telling if someone is trained or qualified to do so. In any case it is illegal to work on a gas appliance unless you are competent and CORGI registered

Quite agree viramati, turning pump speeds down on certain combi boilers is not a good idea.
    A person who is not corgi regestered can work on boilers where this work does not involve breaking into a gasway, ie where there is no risk of gas escape, or likely interference with the safety of the gas installation.

Automated Home Lurker

I'm afraid to say that you are wrong only a competent person may work on any gas appliance whether you break into the gas line or not. I would point you to page 14 paragraph 22 and Page 20 Part B (1) "No person shall carry out any work in relationto a gas fittingor gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so of the 'approved code of pracitce and guidance' of theGas safety (installation and use) regulations 1998'.
    To encourage any unqualified person to open up a boiler and start fiddling with it is highly irresponsible and you could me endagering a persons LIFE.

[/i]

How do you interpret Regulation 2(6)(c) - exception for certain control devices

Automated Home Lurker

I would read it a bit better. it says 'exemption for certain work activities in relation to control devices intended for use by the consumer eg knobs switches for controlling the heat or temprature functions of the appliance.' (go to paragraph 38 for further clarification)This doesn't mean taking the cover off and fiddling with the bit inside. Anyway I've had enough If your happy to advise people how to blow themselves up good for you. Personally I would be lot more careful. madness. Good luck and goodbye