• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sean_Delere
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2006

New Kitchen X10 Controlled

After reading through the many helpful posts in the forum I think I know what I need to buy but would like to calrify it.

I am building a new kitchen and want to have 'scene' lighting so I can have one setting for cooking, one for eating etc.

All the cabling will be new so I was thinking of using LD11 DIN mounted dimmers and a CM12 Controller to run macros for each scene.

From what I can make out I can use momentary contact switches (such as the MK grid system) wired to each of the LD11 modules to provide switching local to each lighting zone. I would then use the CM12 to switch each zone to a preconfigured lighting level.

My questions are:-

1) Is this a good method of doing what I want?

2) What can I use to switch the different scenes stored in the CM12? - I will probably want about 4 scenes.

Many thanks for any help offered
    Sean
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: New Kitchen X10 Controlled

The LD11 is quite noisy at low dim values and they can get a bit warm as well.
    To be able to do scene lighting you will need to set up a virtual device and give it a house code and number. You can do this within the Active Home software as a quick macro.
    To be able to switch the scene lighting on or off you will need an x10 capable transmitter, either a stick-a-switch SS13 or the RW10 2 Button On/Off Light Switch. You will also need a TM13 X10 transceiver module as both the SS13 and RW10 send their X10 commands via RF.
    These are available from www.letsautomate.co.uk
    Another option is to use a TMA4 Micromodule connected to 4 momentary switches, this could be used to control the scene lighting. So you could have 4 scenes. The scenes would use sequential addresses, ie B1, B2, B3 etc.
    This module requires a live and neutral connection. Programming can be a bit tricky, I don't think you can do it via a CM12, so you will need another X10 controller/ remote.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Sean_Delere
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Apr 2006

Thanks for your advice Toscal.

Is there a better alternative to the DIN mounted dimmers? I was planning on mounting them all in a box at the back of one of the cupboards so depending on how noisy they are could be an issue.

Would I be right in thinking that once everything is programmed up I won't need to keep the PC running to control the ligting using Acive Home - the CM12 will do it?

Many thanks again,
      Sean

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Once you have downloaded the macros you can disconnect the pc.
        Depending on the wattage of the lighting the micromodules are quite good can take upto 250W, the LD11 can handle upto 700W. Available from www.simplyautomate.co.uk , www.intellihome.be , www.laser.com and www.lestautomate.co.uk
        These modules are designed to fit behind the switch itself.
        Personally I use a mixture of the two types. In my lounge I have an LW12 In-Wall Lamp MicroModule (this does not require a neutral wire) This switches 160W of mains halogen lights. And when my office finally gets finished, (Hopefully this Tuesday 11th April) each of the 6 down lighters will have its own LD11. The LD11s will be mounted in the fuse box, and controlled via an ACT-Solutions TC284I Transmitter / controller.
        As regards to noise from the LD11, they are a little bit more noisy than a normal dimmer. At full brightness they are quiet, but on anything above 15% and below 90% Brightness, they hum or buzz. If the noise is going to be an issue then I suggest you buy just one and try it.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X