• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leebossman73
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2006

cat5 av distribution

has anyone used/installed a system called 'avi lynx' yet?

i'm looking for something to distribute my sky+, dvd, vcr, freeview. i saw it at a show recently & it looked good.

looking for feedback before i buy.
  • Multiroomman
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2006

Re: cat5 av distribution

Dear Bossman,

I install multiroom systems as a living, and have a good knowledge of most CAT5 AV Distribution systems. I have used the likes of Avnex, smart-e, scion and even the mediastar systems in the past. I went to ISE this year and met up with the guys from Global and saw their product. I could not beleive the costs after being very impressed with the build quality and performance of the AviLynx system. The fact that you can get the servers in 3 differant sizes is great to, and also a handset that will control all of your sources :lol: :lol: , the unit will also pass SKY + IR codes for control to! I have installed 7 systems so far, easy to install and easy to use from an end-users point of view. So to answer your question - I reccomend the AviLynx system.

Comment

• trevorjdaniel
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2005

Hi Multiroomman,

I read your posting with interest... especially as you have installed both AVILynx and Smart-E.

I have a question about picture quality if I may....

Many of my customers insist on "no picture quality loss". Which means that I tend to install Smart-E panels.

What, in your experience, is the difference in the picture quality when you feed Sky composite into a large plasma/lcd as opposed to feeding in Sky RGB?

Thanks in advance...

Trev

Comment

• Multiroomman
        Automated Home Lurker
        • May 2006

Hi Trev,

We all know that RGB is a better video signal than composite, but what you need to bear in mind is that systems such as AviLynx & Smart -e are price sensitive when it comes to the end user/property developers. When I talk to developers they want to spend very little if no money on a smart home infrastructure. AviLynx opens up so many doors for installers like me beacuse of the cost, I can offer developers/end users a fully networked AV distribution system for 12 zones sub £1500 pounds . This system will allow to centrally locate all source equipment and still have full IR control of sources at the display location. I know this is slightly off topic from your question but these 2 systems are totally differant, one is affordable and one is limited to a small percentage of the smart home market. As I stated in my previous post, the composite output of the AviLynx system on to big plasma displays is far superior to any other CAT5 composite system I have worked with. Just out of curiosity, how do you find the Smart-e system with regards to ease of use and reliablity? I have not used one for some time, but I did find reliability a problem and supply a very big problem to. I look forward to receiving your thoughts to the above.

Comment

• vex
          Automated Home Guru
          • Feb 2005

IMHO!

Composite video quality is more down to the quality of the input cards on your screens than the quality of the signal.

I have seen professional 50" plasma's use the AVNex system with amazing results and at the other end I have also seen domestic Sony Bravia 21" LCD's with appauling composite image quality.

The additional problem is the change over from CRT tv's to LCD's and Plasmas. CRT's are a lot more tolerant to poor signal quality (blurring the interference) where as LCDs will show it in all its ugly glory.
          www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
          NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• leebossman73
            Automated Home Lurker
            • May 2006

a friend of mine has tried the avnex system & i thought it sucked. picture quality ok, but the control side of things was laughable. check out the remote control handset ....very fifties.
            :lol:

Comment

• vex
              Automated Home Guru
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by leebossman73
              a friend of mine has tried the avnex system & i thought it sucked. picture quality ok, but the control side of things was laughable. check out the remote control handset ....very fifties.
              :lol:
              Remotes are easy to replace, they also have a RS232, touchscreen and web interface now, which make their intergration into home automation even easier.
              www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
              NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• Workshy
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Jun 2006

Hi, new to all this, and was interested in the comment about being able to supply/install for £1500.

Have just bought a 25 year old brick built house with solid walls and was interested in setting up a system using cat5 orsomething to share AV and internet access among around 6-8 rooms.

Any recommendations or ideas on costs? Want to be able to play mp3/mpeg4 independently in a number of rooms, share sky (inc remote control) plus internet access...

Help! 8O
                Technophilewho isn't particularly competent but eager to learn!!!

Comment

Working...
                X