Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alarm Notify Via Tcp-ip?

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Re: Alarm Notify Via Tcp-ip?

I see that it has been briefly mentioned above, but I'll re-iterate, - the Comfort system (www.comfort.org.uk) is absolutely *the* most interfacable (is that a word?) alarm panel there is. It absolutely WILL do everything you want. I already have mine talking to a PC using RS232 using software that I partly wrote myself. The Comfort RS232 protocol is fully documented, easy to understand, easy to code with. It is possible to fit multiple RS232 ports to a Comfort panel (up to 8 of them) in order to communicate with several off-board systems. There is also a dedicated hardware webserver module available, so realtime browser access is possible. There's also a GSM module, so notification can be achieved by SMS text messages to a mobile phone. Not to mention comfort also does full notification via voice to any kind of phone (it phones you up and tells you what's going on). Alternatively you could interface via the switchable outputs provided (minimum of 8 outputs available), which can be either 12VDC outputs, or dry contact closures via a relay board which then can be connected to a variety of external devices to signal events.

Currently, my Comfort panel sends me an email every time the system is armed or disarmed from any of its security modes, telling me the date, time, what mode it changed FROM, what mode it chanhed TO, and in te case of a disarm, WHO disarmed it, - in the case of an arm it tells me what method (usually what keypad) was used. I could very easily set up email alerts for alarm triggers as well, but I think that email is too slow & unreliable a means for alarm reporting. - Plus in the case of an alarm it rings me on my mobile, tells me what's happening, and lets me listen in to the house all within a very short time after the alarm trigger.

I say again, if you really want to achieve this level of reporting, with established and documented communication interfaces (Comfort is designed to be open to end user communication as a built-in feature, whereas many lesser systems that supposedly have RS232 interfaces often have them for "restricted uses" only, and end-user access to such ports is often a "hack"), then you will not do better than to go for Comfort. I would urge you to reconsider your options if you haven't already purchased your panel. - You will also find a *huge* wealth of information and help both here and in the Comfort Yahoo group that should make instalation & configuration very straightforward.

Paul G

Another one to consider is the Galaxy range of alarms sold by Ademco/ MicroTech and badged by others. Really really flexible although you can't quite alter the core way the panel works ( which you can with a Comfort for example - this may not be a bad thing re insurance etc ) -it is also a third of the price. Has RS232 and Ethernet interface options. I have a Comfort too but had some issues with getting insureres, NACOSS and local installer contractor to provide policed response over Redcare.

Re the original question on reporting over IP. If you have outputs on you alarm , and you surely will have for 'bells' ' alarm' etc then you could just connect this directly to a Phaedrus Netiom (has 16 inputs) and either it will connect over TCP/IP to any specified internet address to provide notification or it can be configured to send an email via SMTP. Or you could use the xAP version of the product which sends xAP BSC messages for all the 16 inputs and still includes SMTP email. I have all my zones (PIR's) attached via a Galaxy and providing inputs to a xAP Netiom so I can action them elsewhere on any networked PC/aplication.

K

Automated Home Lurker

Hi,

Wow, the Comfort system is very very cool. But there is no way I can pay that much! Just for the alarm panel i could get a full install.

The Galaxy range looks interesting, is it me or does it look like an ADT system? Is ADT rebranded Galaxy?

Kevin - do you have any references \ more info about the Galaxy range?

Thank you all for your input!
    -Tim

Its very likely that the ADT system is a Galaxy - they do install those panels. The base units do not come witha serial interface btw. How many zones are you thinking you will be needing ? It can also be tricky getting hold of the programming software - which is called Galaxy Gold. However you can set the panel up from their LCD keypads directly.

K

Automated Home Lurker

Hi Kevin,

If they do not come with a serial interface that is a bit of a show stopper, or can it be added?

I only have a small two bedroom house, so there will be 2-3 zones.

What need would i have for the programming software, what can i do with it?

Many thanks,
    Tim

Automated Home Jr Member

Im with Pgordon.

I have the comfort, fitted it myself and programmed it.
    It's superb, I have not seen anything else out there like it.
    It now controls most of my house, ie lights, garage door, door entry, doorbell, phones.

Yes it works out a little more expensive than a basic alarm but your getting a fully featured expandable system that you will wont to do more with.
    It becomes a challenge to write more operations for it to control more of your house.

Check out this link:
    http://www.home-control.co.uk/produc...03d62b0a1fdde4
    Regards,

Da\/e.
    webshopwww.medwaycomputers.co.uk
    PCbuild shopwww.instantpc.co.uk
    Our new Forum:www.hardwareit.co.uk
    One Stop PC-I.T Shop

Quote Originally Posted by toscal
    Some alarms have a serial interface while others have switched outputs.
    IMHO the switched output route will be the simplest way to go since there are many more alarms with these simple contacts versus a data link of some sort.

You can still get you alert via TCP/IP however, connect the alarm contact to one side of the following devices and an ethernet cable to the other.

Typical inrterfaces:
    WebBrick (www.o2m8.com)
    Barionet (www.laser.com)
    NetIOM (http://www.phaedrusltd.com/system/index.html)
    And no doubt some others I've left off...

Adding xAP or xPL software (both free) lets you do much more with the output than a simple alert too :-)

HTH,

Tim.

Automated Home Lurker

I read the previous posts about the Comfort system having a well documented RS232 protocol. In my case, the house I'm buying a has an existing Visonic Powermax system. Does anyone know any sources for what is known about the Visonic RS-232 protocol? Or is the Comfort system compatable with all the existing wireless sensors?

Thanks