• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timomer
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2006

Alarm Notify Via Tcp-ip?

Hi all,

I have had a good look to try and find what I need, but I am starting to think a product like this does not exist.

I am getting a alarm system installed in my new house, what I want is if the alarm is set off, some sort of notification can be sent to my computer from there I can do whatever I want.

So I need some sort of hardware to notify the computer by standard TCP and some sort of software that picks up that notification or i could possibly monitor the unit attached to the alarm via SNMP. My friend doing the install is going to see if there is such a product and im having a look myself and found this site.

I can’t be the first to want such a product, there has to be something out there!!??

Thanks in advance,
    Tim
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: Alarm Notify Via Tcp-ip?

What make is your alarm. Some alarms have a serial interface while others have switched outputs. Another way to do it would be to monitor the bell output trigger. Their are plenty of rs232 to ethernet adapters. Open Xtra sell one http://www.openxtra.co.uk/section.php/18/0 so you could use this with either a direct link to the serial interface on the alarm if possible or via an RS 232 interface sensor board of some type. Or this product from Digidave might be of use IP POWER 9212 Remote Controler
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• timomer
      Automated Home Lurker
      • May 2006

Hi toscal,

Not sure what panel I will be using yet, but the manufactures will be Scantronic or Adcom.

I was reading some documents that say on some alarm panels notifications are sent by an RS232 adapter on the panel - so all you have to do is connect a device to the RS232 adapter to pickup events.

So, if i buy a product like this http://www.modtronix.com/product_inf...roducts_id=102 and wire it into the RS232 adapter on the alarm all i have to do is try and work out what RS232 signals mean what.

Also take a look under "Application Notes and Source Code" at "An SNMP Agent for the Microchip TCP/IP Stack", i could then monitor it via SNMP.

Am i crazy? Or could the above work?

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

It all depends on what format the data being sent on the RS232 link is in. Don't know about the Scantronic or Adcom systems.
        The product you mention looks like it may work, but you may need to write some custom software to decode the RS 232 data if its not being sent in ASCII or some similar format. It might just send a pulse of ten zeros then ten ones to identify that Zone 1 has been triggered.
        Good luck.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• shevans
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Sep 2005

I have an alarm from Scantronic, I gave up trying to interface it to anything a while back. I would suggest you find one that has an X10 interface. Just my opinion....

Comment

• timomer
            Automated Home Lurker
            • May 2006

Hi,

shevans - did you find a product?

Anyone have any luck interfacing with their alarm?

Thanks,
            Tim

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

The only alarm that I know of with an RS232 interface that people have managed to talk to with some success is the CADDX NetworX range, it does require an interface board though. Another one that can be connected to a PC is the Napco Gemini but I don't know if it has an RS232 interface.
              If you want a good alarm system wih X10 compatability then the Visonic PowerMax plus range is very good. I think the Caddx is also X10 compatible.
              There are others on the market such as the Comfort system, X10 have their own and Marmitek do a version of this.
              The Visonic PowerMax Plus does have a webserver interface module (as an extra) which allows you to control all aspects of the alarm over the internet. You can even connect upto 4 cameras to this server, but they do have to be Visonic cameras, unless you go for IP cameras.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• shevans
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Sep 2005

TOSCAL - sumed it up

I was looking at the powermax+ http://www.letsautomate.com/index.cfm?&Nav=visonic&

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

If you want to go with a Visonic Powermax plus and have dificulty getting the Web server module let me know. I can normally get them within a week. Unfortunately they are not cheap. Just PM me if you want more info etc. The price Lets Automate do for the Visonic PowerMax Plus kit is very good value.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• timomer
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • May 2006

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I dont think i am that confident to setup my own alarm system, would like a pro to set it up for me. I am going to look at communicating with a RS232 interface.

If anyone has had any luck with talking to a RS232 interface please let me know.

Thanks again!
                    Tim

Comment

• pgordon
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jan 2004

I see that it has been briefly mentioned above, but I'll re-iterate, - the Comfort system (www.comfort.org.uk) is absolutely *the* most interfacable (is that a word?) alarm panel there is. It absolutely WILL do everything you want. I already have mine talking to a PC using RS232 using software that I partly wrote myself. The Comfort RS232 protocol is fully documented, easy to understand, easy to code with. It is possible to fit multiple RS232 ports to a Comfort panel (up to 8 of them) in order to communicate with several off-board systems. There is also a dedicated hardware webserver module available, so realtime browser access is possible. There's also a GSM module, so notification can be achieved by SMS text messages to a mobile phone. Not to mention comfort also does full notification via voice to any kind of phone (it phones you up and tells you what's going on). Alternatively you could interface via the switchable outputs provided (minimum of 8 outputs available), which can be either 12VDC outputs, or dry contact closures via a relay board which then can be connected to a variety of external devices to signal events.

Currently, my Comfort panel sends me an email every time the system is armed or disarmed from any of its security modes, telling me the date, time, what mode it changed FROM, what mode it chanhed TO, and in te case of a disarm, WHO disarmed it, - in the case of an arm it tells me what method (usually what keypad) was used. I could very easily set up email alerts for alarm triggers as well, but I think that email is too slow & unreliable a means for alarm reporting. - Plus in the case of an alarm it rings me on my mobile, tells me what's happening, and lets me listen in to the house all within a very short time after the alarm trigger.

I say again, if you really want to achieve this level of reporting, with established and documented communication interfaces (Comfort is designed to be open to end user communication as a built-in feature, whereas many lesser systems that supposedly have RS232 interfaces often have them for "restricted uses" only, and end-user access to such ports is often a "hack"), then you will not do better than to go for Comfort. I would urge you to reconsider your options if you haven't already purchased your panel. - You will also find a *huge* wealth of information and help both here and in the Comfort Yahoo group that should make instalation & configuration very straightforward.

Paul G

Comment

• Kevin
                        • Jan 2004

Another one to consider is the Galaxy range of alarms sold by Ademco/ MicroTech and badged by others. Really really flexible although you can't quite alter the core way the panel works ( which you can with a Comfort for example - this may not be a bad thing re insurance etc ) -it is also a third of the price. Has RS232 and Ethernet interface options. I have a Comfort too but had some issues with getting insureres, NACOSS and local installer contractor to provide policed response over Redcare.

Re the original question on reporting over IP. If you have outputs on you alarm , and you surely will have for 'bells' ' alarm' etc then you could just connect this directly to a Phaedrus Netiom (has 16 inputs) and either it will connect over TCP/IP to any specified internet address to provide notification or it can be configured to send an email via SMTP. Or you could use the xAP version of the product which sends xAP BSC messages for all the 16 inputs and still includes SMTP email. I have all my zones (PIR's) attached via a Galaxy and providing inputs to a xAP Netiom so I can action them elsewhere on any networked PC/aplication.

K

Comment

• timomer
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • May 2006

Hi,

Wow, the Comfort system is very very cool. But there is no way I can pay that much! Just for the alarm panel i could get a full install.

The Galaxy range looks interesting, is it me or does it look like an ADT system? Is ADT rebranded Galaxy?

Kevin - do you have any references \ more info about the Galaxy range?

Thank you all for your input!
                          -Tim

Comment

• Kevin
                            • Jan 2004

Its very likely that the ADT system is a Galaxy - they do install those panels. The base units do not come witha serial interface btw. How many zones are you thinking you will be needing ? It can also be tricky getting hold of the programming software - which is called Galaxy Gold. However you can set the panel up from their LCD keypads directly.

K

Comment

• timomer
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • May 2006

Hi Kevin,

If they do not come with a serial interface that is a bit of a show stopper, or can it be added?

I only have a small two bedroom house, so there will be 2-3 zones.

What need would i have for the programming software, what can i do with it?

Many thanks,
                              Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X