Thread: Heating Pressure Dropping Slowly

Default Heating Pressure Dropping Slowly

I have a Vokera Linea 24 which has given me no problems at all over the past 6 years.

Recently however, I have noticed the pressure slowly dropping from 1.5 bar to 0.5 bar over about 4 weeks and the unit shutting down. I can open the feed supply and re-pressurise but it concerns me that this has just started.

I have checked all the radiators and assocaited joints to see if there are any leaks, but nothing is leaking and nothing has been touched or changed. I am concerned a leak has appeared under the floorboards somewhere.

Is this likely to be the case ... is there anything I can do to tet before upping floorboards or should i be getting someone in. Or is it OK to just live with it

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

N.

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Re: Heating Pressure Dropping Slowly

Sorry it’s a sealed system so there is a leak somewhere. It could very yery tiny, almost a weep.

If you keep putting pressure on it by topping it up ... something is going to give.

This happened to us, and the faulty pipe joint was buried in a concrete floor.

Do you know if there is a pressure relief valve on your system. This is designed to release the pressure in the heating system by letting some of the water out. This could be faulty and maybe leaking a bit. Just a tiny drip every day is enough to drop the pressure over a 4 week period. If the boiler is mounted on a outside wall, then the pipe from the relief valve will go directly outside, have a look on the outside wall and see if there is a wet patch. You may have to check a couple of times.

If your boiler is the highest point of the system,

then maybe its time to flush the system ,and add some inhibitor.

after a few years the water starts to separate,

the auto air bleed on the boiler will let out the h2 thus dropping the pressure.

I know ther is an expansion tank and pressure relief valve. There is no obvious evidence of water leakge anywhere and the system hasn't been knocked or changed or anything, which is why this is a little strange.

I'll try and drain it this weekend ... the boiler is the highest point.

Just hope I don't need to raise floorboards, I've just re-varnished the whole place after spending 3 weeks methodically filling gaps between older boards. At least there isnt any carpet anywhere

Automated Home Sr Member NeilUK's Avatar

I'll put in a second vote for it being the pressure relief valve. It only needs to be an occasional drip when the boiler is firing for it to lose pressure like this. trace the overflow pipe and take a look - I've seen a fast drip from this valve drop the pressure in a matter of hours so it would only need to be a slow drip to cause you the problem.