...and does anyone have any experiences with Control4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Techpigmy
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2006

...and does anyone have any experiences with Control4?

Found Control4 stuff on t'Internet, and it looks very interesting. Do any of you experts have any experiences/views on it? I am trying to keep my budget down, but would like a simple, modular system which uses industry standards where possible.
  • nickgale
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jun 2005

Re: ...and does anyone have any experiences with Control4?

We are a Control 4 installer and can say that it offers extremely good value for money. They have a way to go with their lighting control offering and we're currently working on interfacing it to CBus and Dynalite lighting systems which is not proving to be an easy task. It has only been around in the UK for a few months so there is no history. That said it looks well built and runs on Linux and we've had not problems with it. The ability to stream music from any network attached storage or USB drive makes it the most expandable system on the market. There is nothing to touch it cost wise at the moment, the media controller is under £1600 inc VAT!

The programming software is good although not the most stable. You can not change the layouts of the screens though, you're stuck with the ones they supply which has the advantage of making it quick to set up.

You won't be able to install it yourself however as they only supply through installers like ourselves.

Happy to help you further with this if you wish

Regards

Nick Gale
    Installing automation technology, designed with innovation into your home is empowering. It makes homes more energy-efficient, more comfortable, more convenient and more secure. With its design and innovation, it can turn a dream home into

Comment

• Techpigmy
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jun 2006

Thanks nick,
      I wouldn't dream of installing it myself, hence the handle Techpigmy!

Customising the UI isn't really a problem, as I think it looks attractive as is. I'd like to monitor and control pool heating via Solar panels. Is that something it will do with current functionality?

My project will start at the end of the year, so I just need to plan the pre-wiring at this stage for the first fix.

Do you think they will produce Zigbee wireless lighting controls for the European market within the year?

I'll send you a set of plans and scope in the next couple of weeks, so that you can give me a proposal.

Regards,

Alan

Comment

• nickgale
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jun 2005

Hi Alan

I'm afraid Control 4 is lacking in temperature control, the only thermostat they do is for room control and is not currently available in the UK. I'd be happy to look at your requirements and come back with a budget proposal for you. If you want to control your pool plant then EIB may be the best way to go but I'd need to see your requirements. We do work in the south so distance is not a problem (about to install an addition to a Crestron system in Godalming for example).

Best thing to do is write out your wish list and what you want in each room and I can take a look at it. We can then produce a full design with wiring schedules, drawings, etc. for a small fee.

Don't hesitate to phone me if you want to discuss, full details are on the website.

Nick
        Installing automation technology, designed with innovation into your home is empowering. It makes homes more energy-efficient, more comfortable, more convenient and more secure. With its design and innovation, it can turn a dream home into

Comment

Working...
        X