• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smarthomey
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2006

Help needed with RJ45 to phone socket wiring

Hi there

I have a cat5e wired network with RJ45 sockets wired using 568A (supporting data & voice).

I need to plug in a standard BT-type phone/handset into one of the RJ45 sockets. My telephone line (through NTL) comes into the master socket and an extension cable then runs round to my central wiring point where it is punched down directly to a patch panel telephone module (no slave socket).

Can anyone tell me what type of "BT to RJ45" adapter I need to plug in a telephone into one of the network points?

I've seen several e.g.

Full Master Socket with line protection
    PABX Master Socket w/o line protection
    PABX Slave Socket only

Not sure which one I need though.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thank You!
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

Re: Help needed with RJ45 to phone socket wiring

Usually secondary adaptors are used where you plug your phones in.
    e.g. http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...S1189105&N=411

I use these and they're fine :-)

Since you've wired for 568A you may need to check your extension cable between the master socket and patch panel to make sure the correct BT cores get patched onto the right pins for this adaptor (my wiring is 568B).

There's a few other threads in this forum covering the wiring details, e.g. "Krone BT Line Adapter wiring".

HTH,

Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• katman
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TimH
      Since you've wired for 568A you may need to check your extension cable between the master socket and patch panel to make sure the correct BT cores get patched onto the right pins for this adaptor (my wiring is 568B).
      The ONLY difference between 568A and 568B is that the COLOURS of the Orange and Green pairs are transposed

ELECTRICALLY they are IDENTICAL.

All my references to wiring colours in previous RJ45 to Phone threads ALWAYS include the actual PIN numbers in both the BT and RJ45 sockets.

You SHOULD use the Blue and Orange pairs FROM the BT socket as these are the proper BT colours

2 BLUE/White
      3 ORANGE/White
      4 WHITE/Orange
      5 WHITE/Blue

At the patch panel you should connect

BLUE/White to RJ45/4
      WHITE/Blue to RJ45/5
      ORANGE/White to RJ45/2 (You will have GREEN/White fixed witing on this)
      WHITE/Orange to RJ45/1 (You will have WHITE/Green fixed wiring on this)

Hope that helps

Keith
      KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
      http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by katman
        The ONLY difference between 568A and 568B is that the COLOURS of the Orange and Green pairs are transposed

ELECTRICALLY they are IDENTICAL.
        Ah yes, of course, thanks Katman.
        There's me remembering that 568B and the BT wiring colours are the same, but what's more important is the copper inside :-)

Cheers,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• smarthomey
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Mar 2006

Tim & Keith

Thanks for the help - very much appreciated.

The adapters from Maplin look fine - but I can't correlate the "Secondary" adapter above with the 3 different adapters:

UN27E Full Master Socket with line protection
          UN28F PABX Master Socket w/o line protection
          UN29G PABX Slave Socket only

Does "Secondary" mean the telephone cable going into the patch panel has to come from a slave socket? My extension is coming straight from the master socket into the patch panel.

Also, not entirely sure what "line protection" is - any idea?

Thanks again.

Comment

• katman
            • Jan 2004

UN27E Full Master Socket with line protection

This contains a capacitor for the ringing and also a surge protector to help absorb surges on the line. An NTE5 already contains these components.

UN28F PABX Master Socket w/o line protection

Same as above but without surge protection as PBX extensions are normally internal to the building so generally arens subjected to suurges on the line from electrical storms.

UN29G PABX Slave Socket only

This is a secondary. It doesnt contain a capacitor or surge arrestor. These are what you should be using as the capacitor required for ringing is already in the NTE5 that will be feeding your patch panel.

HTH

Keith

Comment

• smarthomey
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Mar 2006

Certainly does help including the link to POTS - this really helps to understand what's going on.

Thanks for the great help Keith.

Comment

• smarthomey
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Mar 2006

Hi guys

I have bought a Secondary LAU and having wired the patch panel it works fine for outgoing calls, but the phone does not ring for incoming calls.

Based on comments earlier in the post, I assumed my master socket would generate the ring. It definitely seems to be an NTE5 (in two parts where the bottom plate is removable and inserts into the backplate).

Is the Secondary LAU adapter the wrong type? As this does not seem to be generating the ring. Have read related forums already but these haven't shed any immediate light.

I have checked the wiring at the telephone master socket and it is standard BT:

2 BLUE/White
                3 ORANGE/White
                4 WHITE/Orange
                5 WHITE/Blue

At the patch panel I have connected:

BLUE/White to RJ45/4
                WHITE/Blue to RJ45/5
                ORANGE/White to RJ45/6
                WHITE/Orange to RJ45/3

NOTE: The orange pair wiring is against your earlier advice katman, as I need the Orange 3/4 phone cable pair to go to the Green 6/3 pair in my patch panel module - I am using 568A wiring so I need the incoming telephone Orange pair at the telephone module patch panel to connect to the Green pair at the data outlet module (via patch cable).

This works fine for outgoing calls. I also thought I would double-check with the specific wiring recommended above (568B):

ORANGE/White to RJ45/2
                WHITE/Orange to RJ45/1

However this doesn't work, the line is dead (no dialtone). This is as expected as the Orange/Green patch cable pins don't match up.

I bought the Secondary LAU adapter from Maplin - do I need to check the pin configuration of this adapter (and perhaps adjust my patch panel wiring accordingly)?

Or do I need to buy a Master LAU adapter instead?

As always, grateful for all your advice.

Thanks!
                John

Comment

• katman
                  • Jan 2004

Hi John,

As I said earlier, 568A and 568B have the colours of the green and orange pairs transposed but the actual PIN USAGE remains the same irrespective of actual colour.

That is why I wrote this....

You SHOULD use the Blue and Orange pairs FROM the BT socket as these are the proper BT colours

2 BLUE/White
                  3 ORANGE/White
                  4 WHITE/Orange
                  5 WHITE/Blue

At the patch panel you should connect

BLUE/White to RJ45/4
                  WHITE/Blue to RJ45/5
                  ORANGE/White to RJ45/2 (You will have GREEN/White fixed wiring on this)
                  WHITE/Orange to RJ45/1 (You will have WHITE/Green fixed wiring on this)

Get a piece of CAT 5 cable and connect one end to the BT socket using the correct colours of Blue and Orange pairs.

At the patch panel end, punch it down using the T568B colour code which will put the Orange pair on 1 & 2.

You have no ringing on incoming calls because ringing is on the ORANGE and you dont have it on the correct pin (RJ45/2).

I dont know why the line went dead when you tried putting it on 1&2 unless you have a fault on some of your wiring as it *should* work.

Regards

Keith

Comment

• smarthomey
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Mar 2006

Hi Keith

I have punched down the telephone cable at the patch panel using 568B as per your recommendation.

I still have the same problem - phone does not ring. I have already tested all of my RJ45 cables from patch panel to wall jack with an electronic cable tester - no problem.

However - I opened up my Secondary LAU adapter today and found that pins 1 & 2 from the RJ45 plug end are cut off before the BT socket end - depending on how this adapter is wired through to the BT socket end, could this explain why I'm not getting any ringing?

Not sure how familiar you are with these jacks but this one (Maplin Secondary LAU) is wired:

RJ45 plug end:

Pin 1: Grey - cut off/not used at BT socket end
                    Pin 2: Orange - cut off/not used at BT socket end
                    Pin 3: Black
                    Pin 4: Red
                    Pin 5: Green
                    Pin 6: Yellow
                    Pin 7: Blue
                    Pin 8: Brown

BT socket end (6 pins):

Yellow
                    Red
                    Brown
                    Blue
                    Green
                    Black

Not sure which way round the pin numbering for the above colours is on the BT socket end (ie Yellow being 1 or 6), either way it will only be Pins 2-5 inclusive used (Red, Brown, Blue, Green).
                    Which logically means that the following RJ45 pins are wired through to the BT socket end:

So it seems that Pin 2 (Orange) from the patch panel module never makes it to the BT socket end of this adapter.

To get round this, I suppose I could wire a patch cable (to patch between RJ45 wall outlet data module and telephone line module in the patch panel) with T568B at the telephone module end (matching the T568B telephone cable punchdowns) and the right pin configuration at the other end (taking adapter wiring into account) so that the right ELECTRICAL signals (taking on board your previous comments! 8)) make it through from BT master socket to BT socket in the LAU adapter.

Not sure though what the functions each of the wires at the adapter BT socket end are supposed to have.

Should I attempt this or look at buying a different adapter? I've read other forum posts stating that if there is no ringing using a Secondary adapter then a Master adapter should be used.

Any ideas would be welcomed at this stage.

Many thanks
                    John

Comment

• katman
                      • Jan 2004

Well, I have never seen an adapter wired like that before !!!!

Pin 1 on the BT plug is nearest the tag so going by your text I am guessing at...

1 Yellow
                      2 Red
                      3 Brown
                      4 Blue
                      5 Green
                      6 Black

Ringing should be on BT3 which going by above is BROWN which you say goes to RJ45/8

RJ45 plug end:

Pin 1: Grey - cut off/not used at BT socket end
                      Pin 2: Orange - cut off/not used at BT socket end
                      Pin 3: Black
                      Pin 6: Yellow

Try this with the cable from the BT NTE5

4 BLUE/White (as it should be)
                      5 WHITE/Blue (as it should be)
                      8 ORANGE/White
                      7 WHITE/Orange

and see how you get on

Comment

• smarthomey
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Mar 2006

Thanks a lot Keith, I'll give that a try.

Shouldn't have to go to these lengths though - not a particularly useful adapter wired the way it is! A mild PITA but a good learning experience nevertheless.

Will try a different adapter I think for any further phone outlets.

You've been most helpful Keith so I extend a very sincere thanks to you for all your support.

Comment

Working...
                        X