• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kotch
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2006

Career advice

Greetings,I've been lurking around the site and forums for a little while now and have found it a great resource with helpful knowledgeable members, thank you.

I'm pretty much in a dead-end atm and have been considering moving into AV/HA as a career.I have no qualifications,I'm 25 years old and live in London.

First I have neither the resources or the experience to consider working for myself so I'm looking for a junior position,I know this will be difficult as it seems the job market will be rather small.
    I'd greatly appreciate any advice that might help.
    First thing I could do would be to get an electrical qualification to allow me to work with low voltage, changing light fixtures e.t.c I don't even know if you need to be qualified for that and will be looking around starting Monday on what's available.
    Apart from that I'm really at a loss as to what education is available to me that would help.I'd love to be qualified with Crestron or anything else of that nature but I'm not able to spend any money on private education and at the moment just learning what I can from product documentation.
    I have a background in sound engineering and have a firm knowledge on all consumer grade computer hardware and experience with programming and graphic design but without qualifications and relevant professional experience I'm not sure of my chances of finding someone to take me on.
  • vex
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2005

Re: Career advice

Kotch

You have several different directions you could look at.

There are a small number of different recruitment companies that specailise in this market, prospro is one iirc.

The other is to contact our so called trade association, CEDIA and if they know of anyone looking for a junior tech. Be carefull though they may try to sell you a whole bunch of training you will not need at the moment.

Posting here and over on AV Forums may well generate interest, physically visiting deallers and installer could be worth will as well.

Finally don't expect massive wealth or good hours from this industry, whilst it may look good from the out side the bits you don't see are the head scratching and balls ache from system not working or talking to each other when they did last night, or the client who rings a 11pm at night 'cause his remote does not work or sky has packed up!

Good luck

Chris
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• Kotch
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jul 2006

Thank you very much for clarifying the options available Chris and I'm sorry for not replying sooner I'm very grateful for you taking the time.

I did a search for Prospro and could not find anything.Any agency dealing with this sort of work would be very useful to know of.
      Thanks also for your candid opinion on CEDIA, I am wary of learning any proprietary systems and such, it's just that I feel any relevant education will help me prepare and look good on my CV so I'm feeling the best thing will qualifing as an electrician or learning satellite installations and other little pieces of the puzzle I can put a some paper to.
      I really am looking at this as a profession for my deep love of the technology
      and the assumption that this is a growth industry with the opportunity for stable work.I heed your warnings well but am definatly willing to deal with these sort of problems against the joy of doing something I should mostly find challenging and enjoyable for a living.

Thanks again, I realise there's not a lot anyone can offer me for advice,.I'll persist as you've stated.

Alex

Comment

• vex
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2005

Alex,

As I haven't put you off, I am happy to give you some time one evening here at our offices going through the various technologies and solutions available.

I can also include satellite TV, Tv and door entry systems to complete the picture.

The only disadvantage is we are expecting our first child this WEEK!!!!!!!! So I will not be able to confirm anything for the next couple of weeks.

Feel free to PM me, call or email and we can set something up.

Chris
        NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• nigelh
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Mar 2004

Go to: www.cytech.biz - Employment

Nigel

Comment

• vex
            Automated Home Guru
            • Feb 2005

Hi Nigel,

Hows the new office?

We really need to meet and talk things through, I'll try to call you later today.

Chirs (In Touch Technologies)

Comment

• vex
              Automated Home Guru
              • Feb 2005

Hey Alex,

Just spotted this over on AV Forums and thought of you.

Chris

Comment

• Kotch
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Jul 2006

Thanks for all the help and the offer Chris.
                I'll PM you later then,kind of busy myself and another scorching day today.
                8)
                I couldn't get the link to work,AV Forums is the other site I've learnt a lot off.

Thanks a lot,I'll look around this evening.

All the best

Alex

Comment

• vex
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Feb 2005

Kotch

you have a PM!

Comment

Working...
                  X