Lexcom / SquareD AV System - Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bobmeister2K
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2006

Lexcom / SquareD AV System - Help Please!

All,

I am in the process of purcahsing a flat that is "Pre-wired with CAT7 cabling for the Lexcom AV system". I am totally new to this but have been doing some research around and I had a few questions:

1.) I assume I will need to pay for the big switchboard thing and terminals in each room (2 bed flat - would probably want 2 connectors in lounge, 1 in each bed and perhaps one in the bathroom). How much is this likely to cost?

2.) Are you able to do in wall connections as well - for Plasma wall mounting and speaker positioning around the room?

3.) Am I limited to installing the Lexcom system as there do appear to be a few limitations:
    i.) Composite video connection that is offered is lower quality than I usually use (component or above)
    ii.) I have SKY HD and would ideally like to split the HDMI signal and route that to 3 different HDTVs (lounge and 2 bedrooms) - is this possible with Lexcom or with anything that is compatible with Lexcom
    iii.) Lexcom site says it can't support Dolby Digital 5.1, only stereo - is this true as it is not really good enough for watching SKY HD, films from PC /DVD or console gaming (Xbox 360).

4.) Is this an upgradeable system? - what does it actually offer? (the marketing material is generally very unclear!)

Thanks a lot, and sorry for any newbishness...
  • vex
    Automated Home Guru
    • Feb 2005

Re: Lexcom / SquareD AV System - Help Please!

Hi Bobmeister

Here are some answers for you

1.) I assume I will need to pay for the big switchboard thing and terminals in each room (2 bed flat - would probably want 2 connectors in lounge, 1 in each bed and perhaps one in the bathroom). How much is this likely to cost?

That depends on how much the developer is putting in as part of the package and you may well be forced to use the orginal installer to finish the job which was part of the developers deal. Out of interest who is the developer?

2.) Are you able to do in wall connections as well - for Plasma wall mounting and speaker positioning around the room?

Lexcom plates are bloody ugly, however we have the little RJ45 plates engineered to fit other faceplate manufacturers. You then use little adaptors to conver the signals back to TV, Telephone and autio connections.

3.) Am I limited to installing the Lexcom system as there do appear to be a few limitations:
    i.) Composite video connection that is offered is lower quality than I usually use (component or above)
    ii.) I have SKY HD and would ideally like to split the HDMI signal and route that to 3 different HDTVs (lounge and 2 bedrooms) - is this possible with Lexcom or with anything that is compatible with Lexcom
    iii.) Lexcom site says it can't support Dolby Digital 5.1, only stereo - is this true as it is not really good enough for watching SKY HD, films from PC /DVD or console gaming (Xbox 360).

Technically you are not limited to installing Lexcom kit on the end of the lexcom cable, however this may end up restricting you even further. ie not having any coax tv points in the apartment. In its current guise the system can only pass UHF and Composite signals. Depending on howmany cables are pulled to each location we can use two cat5e/cat7 to get full HD Component and audio to a location.

4.) Is this an upgradeable system? - what does it actually offer? (the marketing material is generally very unclear!)

It offers the choice of tv (UHF), telephone, data and audio over a single cable type to generic locations throughout the appartment. You have complete choise over what signal appears where by patching the different services in the central cabinet out to the points in the property.

Hope that helps.

Chris
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• Bobmeister2K
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jul 2006

Thanks a lot! That clears a lot of the questions up.

The developer is called Stirling Developments based in Finchley for a property in North/Central London.

Price wise - I just really wanted to get a feel for how much the basic system is likely to cost me - is it £500, £1k, many £ks?

I don't think the developer will be able to insists on the phase 2 work after I move in - I see no reason why I couldn't say I don't want it initially (which may well be the case anyway if it costs too much) then commission somebody else to do the work later on.

Thanks again for the info,

Rob

Comment

• vex
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2005

The cost of termination is difficult, as it depends on the number of point you have.

My best guess would be the high end of between £500 and £1K
        NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• Bobmeister2K
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jul 2006

Excellent, thanks, may well be in touch with your company if the people recommended by the developer don't seem up to scratch!

Comment

• vex
            Automated Home Guru
            • Feb 2005

No problem, Bob!

Would also be interested in who the installer is.

Chris

Comment

• Bobmeister2K
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Jul 2006

Don't have full details as yet - am getting the wiring information, etc. on exchange so will let you know then.

Thanks again

Comment

• smarthomey
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Mar 2006

Hi Bob

Have a look at my other post here:

which discusses some options for HD video distribution. In your scenario these might be appropriate.

Cheers
                John
                [email protected]

Comment

• Bobmeister2K
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Jul 2006

Thanks very much!

Definitely something to consider when we finally move in...

Comment

Working...
                  X