• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ruud
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2006

How to control X10 with an embedded (barix) system

Hi,

I'm planning to automate our house. So far the following concept is in my head.

-Barix Barionet http://www.barix.com/index.php?optio...942&Itemid=200
    -1-wire dallas temperature sensors (2 dollar without case) and 20$ with case
    -1-wire weather station $ 79 dollar aac electronics

The above is for controlling the inner temperature en for the contol of a sun screen.

For lights in the house I want to use the x-10 system.

Now the question

Is there any way an embedded system (like the barix) witch has serial port rs232/485/ethernet/1-wire to control (be the master) several X-10 wall mounted switch/dim modules?? The barix can be programmed freeley.

kind regards

Ruud. (The netherlands)
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: How to control X10 with an embedded (barix) system

If you can get the barrix to output a serial string to a CM11 or XM10 it might be possible. Take a look on the Intellihome website. www.intellihome.be then select tech information on the left hand side. No look at the software section. There are a few useful tools for you.
    You m,ight also want to look at a Homevision controller this can output serial commands and accept serial data as well. So it would be possible via the homevision controller to control your lighting. Homevision is at www.csi3.com
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Ruud
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jul 2006

Thanks for your insite.

Its to expensive for my taste though.

If a simple solution isn't available I'd rather use the "Universal Signal Converter" from Lintronik http://www.lintronic.dk/TT455-RT-238.htm witch has InfraRed, RS232, RS485, X10 and more and costs € 159-

Comment

• Kevin
        • Jan 2004

As mentioned above you may be able to control an X10 transceiver via some programming and commands issued on the Barionet serial port - this would be the most contained and reliable solution.

There is some (free) code available to actually run xAP embedded on the Barionet and if you were prepared to use a Windows application you could then use xAP Floorplan and the xAP X10 conduit (again both free) to provide this and other features. xAP Floorplan is essentially the logic engine, allowing you scripted and timed/logical events would further allow you to display and control your devices via a web browser in realtime - using Ajax and your own icons/background.

Kevin

Comment

• Ruud
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jul 2006

Kevin,

About this free code to run on the barix:

-Is this general code or specialy tailered for the Barix Barionet?
          The barix uses COBOL Basic if I remember correctly
          -Where can I find this code?

So If I use the Lantronic signal convertor and the Barix module, I only have to run this xAP "function" in the basic language and communicate over say the RS 485 communication protocol witch is supported on both systems

Comment

• Kevin
            • Jan 2004

Hi - yes the code was written for the Barionet in COBOL Basic I believe - it was written by Edward Pearson who's website is here

I am not sure what state the code is in - I believe it was released. Drop him an email and ask perhaps. I thought it was posted on Barix's site too. I believe the code supports BSC (one of the plug and play xAP schema) and so would be immediately recognised and controllable by xAP Floorplan. You will need a xAP hub (free software) running on the PC too as you will be using two xAP applications - (xAP Floorplan and the xAP X10 conduit). The latter was written by Edward too.

Kevin

Some other useful links..

http;//www.mi4.biz (Floorplan and hub download)
            Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

Working...
            X