• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dox
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2004

X10 and Low Energy bulbs

In the process of planning the HA stuff for my forthcoming extension, I started to look for retrofit ideas for the existing parts of the house. I've got Lutron (telume) controls in the recently done kitchen, but the other rooms were decorated before I decided to smarten them.

I'm a big fan of low-energy bulbs, which have proved simpler than getting the kids to turn off lights, but they (LE bulbs, not the kids :winkdon't seem to coexist too happily with X10. I don't have the luxury of re-wiring, so the DIN modules are probably out...

I'm not trying to dim the LE bulbs, but would like to be able to turn them on/off remotely. Is there any convenient retrofit route to this or do I need to go back down the old 100w instead of 13w path?

Any guidance appreciated, and apologies if this is a dumb question :roll:

Dox
  • kwatt
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2004

Generally you need to switch LE bulbs with appliance modules, i.e. on or off as the dimmer modules can't work with them as they cannot be dimmed.

HTH

K.
    Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge - Don Henley

Comment

• Dox
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by kwatt
      Generally you need to switch LE bulbs with appliance modules, i.e. on or off as the dimmer modules can't work with them as they cannot be dimmed.

HTH

K.
      It does. In the lounge, we have a pair of ceiling lights both with 11w LE bulbs which we use most of the time. I had thought about a Comfort-style system sending "Off" to them once the alarm is armed, but suspect there's unlikely to be a neutral at the wall switch, hence the question.

I could add an appliance module to a table lamp to provide automatic lighting when the room is otherwise dark, but really wanted to be able to do it with the ceiling lights. I'd wondered about a standard IR (like the telume) or RF capable switch and then an X10 IR/RF unit to control the switch indirectly. I looked at the little Marmitek units and the wall switches on LetsAutomate, but, I guess most things need the neutral to operate over when the switch is in the off position...

Regards
      Dox

Comment

Working...
      X