Thread: DVI to HDMI via CAT5???

Automated Home Lurker

Default DVI to HDMI via CAT5???

I want to connect my PC to my home cinema amp for video scaling.

The only cables I have plastered into the walls are cat5 UTPs although there are three of them.

Is it possible to send the signal (video & audio) over cat5???

By the way, the PC is DVI and the amp accepts HDMI

Thanks

Automated Home Lurker

Default Re: DVI to HDMI via CAT5???

Thanks for the reply but looking at the cost of those bits, it would be easier and cheaper for me to buy another cheap PC and place it next to the amp!!!

Thanks for looking anyway :wink:

Much appreciated

Default Re: DVI to HDMI via CAT5???

CAT5 AV distribution could be done by Keith's KAT5 system. HDMI can be done but all I have read about is that it is done via an IP based streaming system. You might want to take a look at the Pinnacle Showcenter 200. I have a 1000G which is also wireless. The 200 is HD compatible. All you need is the showcenter media server software on your PC and then the showcenter either connected via an ethernet cable or wireless connection to your PC. Mine is via cat5 to my router. Conenct the Showcenter to your TV and thats about it. The only thing with the wireless connection is that unless its about 2 to 3m away DVD quality video can be a bit choppy at times so ethernet connection is best. There is also some homebrew software for the showcenter called swisscenter. info at www.swisscenter.co.uk