• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul_GPvR
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2006

House Rewire - Design Cat5 AV Dist

Hello,

I'm hoping some of you experts can help me out as this is all new to me .

I'm in the position of purchasing a new house, the house needs a full electrical rewire so i thought it would be a good time to put some cable in to distribute the Audio & Video from the lounge around the house etc..

I've done a bit of research and it seems like CAT5 is the most effective and cost efficient system to use within my small budget, correct??

I've been looking at the bluedelta milestone system http://www.bluedelta.co.uk/milestone_system.htm

as well as Madnat

and Kat5

They all seem very similar to.

I'm thinking of running cat5 cable to most rooms just for AV at the moment but putting extra cables in to future proof a little, as you can see in the pics:-

4 cat5 to the Master Bedroom,
    4 cat5 to Bedroom 2,
    4 cat5 to Bedroom 3,
    4 cat5 to the Bathroom, - Just want audio to ceiling speakers ATM.
    4 cat5 to the Kitchen,
    4 cat5 to the Dining Room,
    4 cat5 to the Garage,
    4 cat5 for CCTV, - No idea how this is going to work, maybe 3 cams?
    8 cat5 to the Lounge, - As this is the main source area.

Does this amount sound ok? These would all go to faceplates in each room and then to the tv via scart, expect the bathrooms faceplate would be left in the loft above it.

As you can see from the loft diagram, ive decided that the loft would be a good place for all the cables to meet and be distributed around, but please advise?!? I've no idea how to wire networks so I’m assuming all the face plates from each room will meet in the loft in a big switch which is sourced from the lounge tv via CAT5???

I'd really appreciate it if you could all sanity check and look what i'm doing, just so i know that i'm doing everything correctly and the best way from your experiences.

I’ve redone my design (see attached pics) following from some advice. So each room has 4 cat5’s and the lounge has 8.

I’ve also been recommended to put aerial cable (ct100) to every room and a return feed from the lounge as well to a loft box.

As you can see I’ve drawn in the wiring for the loftbox ok, but I’ve no idea how a patch panel would be wired, like this 48 port one below.

What goes where? ! ?

Screwfix: Thousands of products at low trade prices | FREE next day delivery available | 30 day money back guarantee on all orders.

What is the best way to get all my Sources onto the cat5 network?

I was initially thinking of connecting to cat5 from the scart off the back of the LCD tv in the lounge as that would be fed directly but mainly from the AV amp. But i'd have to have the lounge TV on at all times to view in the other room?!

I'm getting a bit confussed with all this now. I know how many cables i need and want but not idea how they all talk to each other and what i can and cant watch in each room.

Thanks very much for all your help so far.

Paul

• toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: House Rewire - Design Cat5 AV Dist

I know you have considered CAT5 cabling, but you might want to consider either going for a hybrid CAT5 such as the one Abitana uses www.abitana.com. This will allow you to distribute Av signals, ethernet, TV aerial, telephone and audio. Oh and also you can have what are called home channels, so you could have your CCTV cameras as TV channels. You also get full IR control of anything connected to the network such as DVD player, set top boxes etc. Their distributor in the UK is Minitran www.minitran.co.uk .
    Another similar system is by Square D/Lexcom not too sure but I think it uses a CAT7 cable. vex from this forum can give you more info about the product. have a look at this site http://www.konnect2.net/lexcom.htm
    Either system would do away with the need for seperate aerial cable.
    Socket numbers for each location look good.
    Hope this helps
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Paul_GPvR
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Aug 2006

Re: House Rewire - Design Cat5 AV Dist

200 views and one reply chaps.... come on you must have some experience and advice to share??

Thanks for your reply toscal, but i'm doing this on a budget and those options seem very pricey.

Comment

Working...
      X