• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrluvpants
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2006

Please help!!!

I am new to this so please bear with me.

I have had a NTL broadband line into my house for about 3 years. The line comes in and then connects to a router with RJ45. Then a RJ45 line goes out through the wall , runs round the back of the house and goes in to my conservatory and ends in a socket. i then simply connect a RJ45 lead between the socket and the pc. Sorted!

HOWEVER I now have Talktalk and the modem they sent me needs to be plugged into a PC via USB and connected to a BT line with RJ11.

My question is this: Can I use that RJ45 wire that runs round the back of my house as a telephone extension lead? And what adapters (and who supplies the adapters) would I need. I have phoned a few companies but unless I apply for a trade account they said they are not interested in talking to me.

Any help would be great.

JOHN
  • mrluvpants
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2006

Re: Please help!!!

boing!!

Comment

• katman
      • Jan 2004

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay in replying but the first time I saw your nickname I didnt read the post because I thought it might be one of the spam posts!

Originally posted by mrluvpants
      I am new to this so please bear with me.

I have had a NTL broadband line into my house for about 3 years. The line comes in and then connects to a router with RJ45. Then a RJ45 line goes out through the wall , runs round the back of the house and goes in to my conservatory and ends in a socket. i then simply connect a RJ45 lead between the socket and the pc. Sorted!
      OK. With you so far
      HOWEVER I now have Talktalk and the modem they sent me needs to be plugged into a PC via USB and connected to a BT line with RJ11.

My question is this: Can I use that RJ45 wire that runs round the back of my house as a telephone extension lead? And what adapters (and who supplies the adapters) would I need. I have phoned a few companies but unless I apply for a trade account they said they are not interested in talking to me.
      Had a quick look at a couple of sites that I normally use and cant see
      "BT socket to RJ45 plug" or "RJ45 plug to RJ11 socket" adapters which is what you would need.

Two thoughts occur to me....

1. Cut the plug off each end of the RJ45 cable and wire one end to the faceplate of the BT linebox and fit a BT socket on the other end.

2. If you dont fancy destroying the lead then buy two "RJ45 Couplers" and an RJ11 to RJ11 lead. The couplers are for joining two RJ45 cables together and have a RJ45 socket in each end.

An RJ45 socket will take an RJ11 plug, it just occupies the centre part of the socket.
      NOTE: You shouldnt normally put an RJ11 plug into an RJ45 socket as it can bend the unused contacts and make them unreliable when later used with an RJ45 plug leading to a faulty faceplate or patch panel but in this case we are talking about doing it with a cheap adapter so that is disposable

Take the supplied BT-RJ11 lead and plug it into the first adapter, plug the RJ11-RJ11 lead from te second adapter to the modem.

BT Socket>>>BTPlug>>>RJ11
      Coupler>>>RJ45 lead>>>Coupler
      RJ11>>>RJ11>>>Modem

Sorted

Hope that helps
      KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
      http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Try Maplin for RJ45 to BT phone adapters. www.maplin.co.uk
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• mrluvpants
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Aug 2006

Thaks for the help. But there are 3 types of BT/RJ45 adapters on Maplins webvsite. Which one would I need?

Comment

• mrluvpants
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Aug 2006

Thanks Katman for your detailed explanation. however I think I have given you a bum steer. When I said it the RJ45 cable ends in a socket I meant a Face plate. And where is the best place to get all the gear I need? and if I use the adapter that Toscal said, I take it I would not need the leads at the beginning?

JOHN

Comment

• katman
              • Jan 2004

Hi John,

Sorry, I though you had a lead with RJ45 plugs on each end which would have made it awkward.

As you have an RJ45 socket you can just use a Line Adapter Unit as Toscal suggests.

The modem actually only need the A&B wires of the line so any type of adapter would work for the modem although the correct type to buy would be Secondary as the BT socket already incorporates the Master ringing components.

Comment

• mrluvpants
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Aug 2006

so can you please give me "diagram" as to what I need....???>???> etc

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

Have a look at this website on telephone connections and wiring.

It may help you.
                  IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• mrluvpants
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Aug 2006

sorry I meant that Katman wrote this for what he thought I needed :

RJ11>>>RJ11>>>Modem

So now I have explained to him properly what I need how does the formula go now?

Comment

• mrluvpants
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Aug 2006

[/quote]

Take the supplied BT-RJ11 lead and plug it into the first adapter, plug the RJ11-RJ11 lead from the second adapter to the modem.

RJ11>>>RJ11>>>Modem

Sorted

Hope that helps[/quote]

Trying to get this in my head.... Dont you mean RJ45-RJ45 lead and there is no BT/RJ11 lead with the modem and I cant find one on Mapilins website.I do appreciate your help and you are not wasting your time as I have to do this.

Comment

• katman
                        • Jan 2004

Sorry, just realised that ADSL modems have an RJ11 to RJ11 lead supplied with them.

Plug an RJ11 to RJ11 lead into the ADSL part of the BT socket or filter.

If the distant end of your CAT5 cable has a socket then plug the RJ11 into that, if it has an RJ45 plug then use an RJ45 coupler to join the RJ11 to RJ45.

Likewise at the PC end.

Difficult to explain in words !!!!

Comment

• mrluvpants
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Aug 2006

so let me get this right:

modem....plug the RJ11-RJ11 supplied lead into the back of it and plug the other end in to a RJ45 coupler (is this the one?)https://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx...12m8&source=15 then plug a short cat 5 cable into the other end of the coupler and into the face plate.

At the other end where the Cat 5 cable terminates and has a plug(in my living room) I use a BT-RJ45 adaptor (is this it?)https://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx...pters&doy=12m8 and then just plug it into the BT face plate?

Comment

• mrluvpants
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Aug 2006

boing!

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                              Founder
                              • Jan 2004

Katman is out of town for a few days, I'm sure he'll reply once he returns.

M.
                              Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
                              www.twitter.com/ottomate
                              www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

Working...
                              X