Thread: I have a plan... will it work ? (Audio / Video)

Automated Home Lurker

Default I have a plan... will it work ? (Audio / Video)

Hi,
    I'm new to all of this cool stuff so please be patient.. 8O
    Currently I have my Meedio PC sitting in the lounge. Video is connected to Panasonic CRT-TV via VGA to SCART & 5.1 sound to Yammie Amp via 3.5mm to RCA connectors. All controlled using Pronto and USB-UIRT IR unit.

My plan is to move & hide the Meedio PC and NAS server (with DVDs/ HD WMVs) in a cupboard somewhere, and then route the audio and video over Cat5 using the Kat5 modules. (into the lounge 1st - then into other rooms)

I tried S-Video to S-Video before on the CRT and it was horrible (lots of lines) despite modifying the refresh rates.

The questions:
    Since I'm using VGA to SCART will I see a degredation in picture quality if I used the kat5 solution ?

How good is the S-Video picture quality on an 32" LCD (part of the upgrade I planning - better than CRT)?

Can I send the 5.1 Audio (via SPDIF) and the DVD / HD WMV files over 2 separate CAT5 cables at the same time - would this require 2 transmitters / receivers in the lounge?

Would I need anything else to send the IR signals back to the PC in the cupboard?

I think that will do for starters..
    Thanks for all your help :?
    OscarP

Automated Home Lurker

Default Re: I have a plan... will it work ? (Audio / Video)

Ah - me thinks I need the following:
    AVTX-RGB and AVRX-RGB for the video
    AVTX and AVRX for the audio / IR...
    Is this correct??

Also is the pricing different for the -RCB models?
    Tx
    Oscar_P

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_P
    The questions:
    Since I'm using VGA to SCART will I see a degredation in picture quality if I used the kat5 solution ?
    Hi Oscar,

By VGA to SCART I assume you mean RGB into the TV.

KAT5 will not degrade the picture. You will get exactly the same over KAT5 as you would wth the source connected directly to the display device.

How good is the S-Video picture quality on an 32" LCD (part of the upgrade I planning - better than CRT)?
    As above, if S-Video directly from source to display is fine then KAT5 will be fine. If its rubbish then it will not improve !

Can I send the 5.1 Audio (via SPDIF) and the DVD / HD WMV files over 2 separate CAT5 cables at the same time - would this require 2 transmitters / receivers in the lounge?
    With a 4 channel video unit you can send Component Video + SPDIF over a single set of KAT5 with IR control in the reverse direction. This can be standard definition or HD. Several people are already using KAT5 for SKY HD Component

Would I need anything else to send the IR signals back to the PC in the cupboard?
    Provided the IR control operates at 36-40kHz it will work fine.
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_P
    Ah - me thinks I need the following:
    AVTX-RGB and AVRX-RGB for the video
    AVTX and AVRX for the audio / IR...
    Is this correct??
    Yes, although the RGB units also have IR, just no audio capability.

The RGB units can be used for Component +SPDIF so provided you are geared up for digital audio and component video then you can manage with a single set.

Also is the pricing different for the -RCB models?
    The RGB units are slightly more expensive as Video circuits use more expensive components due to the higher bandwidth requirements.

Contact Laser Business Systems for details of prices http://www.laser.com

Regards
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv