Thread: Kat5 with Tivo just give me a red screen

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Kat5 with Tivo just give me a red screen

Hi,

Just connected my Tivo in the lounge to the kitchen TV using Kat5 and I can see the Tivo screen but only seem to be getting the colour Red. Looking at Tivo I seem to only have options of RGB and PAL as output formats.

Does this mean I can't use KAT5 with my Tivo? SWMBO is going to be very annoyed!

Thanks
    Ian
    ops:

Default Re: Kat5 with Tivo just give me a red screen

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the delay in replying.... you posted on the day I went on holiday for a week!

Tivo doesnt have an S-Video output so you need an RGB to S-Video converter from www.JS-Technology.com

You can use the PAL output which will still give superior pictures to the RF output with the added benefit of stereo sound but to get the best you need the converter. That is how I have mine setup.
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi Keith

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying that to get the best picture I need a covertor but that I should get a picture if I select PAL on Tivo? I did try that at the time but seemed to loose the image, I must admit I gave up a that point. If I can get a half decent image then I would be happy to try it, if it then gets used a lot then I can invest in the convertor.

sorry if I am being thick ;-)

Regards
    Ian

Hi Ian,

You dont need to change Tivo to PAL as it outputs RGB AND PAL at the same time.

Your KAT5 units must be OK as you got a red picture on the RGB setting. Red uses the second video circuit the same as the Chroma part of an S-Video signal.

The Sync for RGB (which in the case of Tivo and SKY is actually Composite Video) uses the first video circuit which is the one used for Composite Video or the Luma part of an S-video signal. As you got a red picture this must also be OK.

The reason you got no picture when setting TiVo to PAL is probably that the TV was still set to RGB rather than Composite so would see the sync pulses indicating a signal was present thereby preventing the Blue Mute screen appearing (assuming your TV has one) but would see the absence of signal on the RGB pins as a black image giving the blank screen.

You can also plug KAT5 into the VCR socket of Tivo to get a composite signal.

HTH
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv