• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • StrangerUK
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2006

Newbie fundamental question on X10 Applicance modules

Hello all

I'm in the process of buying my first home, and looking into home automation options.

There's something fundamental I don't understand about X10 and particularly the appliance modules. The advertising states you can control plug-in mains devices, like kettles, washing machines, coffee makers, small radios and Hi-FI's, etc. The impression I get is that the module controls ON / OFF power, like manually flicking the mains switch on and off.

How does this help boiling a kettle, for example? Most kettles I know, you have to press down the manual lever to start the boil, and when the kettle has reached boiling point, the lever pops off. Does X10 control the lever also, or does the lever have to be in the down position in advance. And after a boil when X10 cuts the power, do I need to remember to place the lever in the down position ready for the next time?

Ditto with a small Hi-Fi. Simply turning it on, it would probably default to radio when I want to listen to CD. Can X10 control the source, like CD, Radio, Aux?

If ON / OFF is all that X10 can do, I struggle to see the appeal!

Thanks in advance,

Mark
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: Newbie fundamental question on X10 Applicance modules

Appliance modules are just used for basic ON/OFF so you would have to fill your kettle and switch it on before you went to bed or whatever.

Devices lke the hifi you mention can be controlled with more complex home automation controllers/setups that include the ability to send and receive IR commands.

You could have a morning "macro" for example that turned your TV on to you r required station and volume, whilst gently fading up the bedroom lights and turning on the kettle in the kitchen.

The only limits these days are your imagination and your budget

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• StrangerUK
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Aug 2006

IR commands like from an IR remote control? Hmmm that sounds more like what I was hoping. Can you point me in the direction of a product that can do this?

Comment

• StrangerUK
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Aug 2006

Sorry, also, is X10 safe to use on most home electrical wiring? Would I need to get the wiring, fuse box, etc checked out in any way before-hand? I wouldn't want to cause a problem that would result in expensive electrician bills!

Cheers

Comment

• Otto-Mate
          Founder
          • Jan 2004

Have a look at the HomeVision HA controller...

If you are using X10 plugin modules you don't need to do anything with your wiring.

M.
          Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
          www.twitter.com/ottomate
          www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• StrangerUK
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Aug 2006

Thanks mate, I'm feeling a lil more inspired now!

Comment

Working...
            X