• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonix
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2006

AWM2 Micromodule

Hi,

this may be a really simple question, but say I installed the AWM2 micromodule behind one of my light switches, would it require the actual swtich to always be in the 'on' position?

Thanks.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: AWM2 Micromodule

No. It just acts as a toggle. So if the module is turned on via an X10 command, then when you press the switch it will go off.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• sonix
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • May 2006

Thanks, that's what i hoped!

Comment

• muj
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Aug 2006

note that it needs to be a momentary switch!

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Actually the AMW2 can be connected to either a momentary or normal switch. This makes it ideal for retro fitting as you don't have to change your light switch.
          I recently installed three of these behind normal light switches.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• rayboy
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Sep 2005

wiring AWM2 inside a ceiling rose

Hi, I am thinking of putting the awm2 inside the ceiling rose, reusing the old wall switch, but can't get my head around how to wire it up, can anyone help? Don't suppose a wiring diagram is too much to ask for? Hehe, many thanks.

Ray

Comment

• rayboy
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Sep 2005

Is what I have in this diagram correct? How should I connect the 3 loose wires from the AWM2 to the wall switch? Thanks.
              Attached Files

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

In a word no. You have no neutral connection to the module, for a start.
                This module can control 1 appliance locally and also control another module that is situated else where. Hence the three wires.
                Have amended your diagram to show proper connections. For the manual use this link http://www.marmitek.com/en/manual/9300.pdf
                Hope this helps you. If you connect just one switch then use only the blue and brown wires coming from the module.
                Attached Files
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• rayboy
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Sep 2005

Thanks. With the common UK light switch wiring in mind, where the switch doesn't take a neutral wire, I mis-read Neutral in the manual to mean Earth!! That is BAD!!

Now thinking more about it, of course there must be a neutral going into the module because it is an active device, unlike a normal light switch which is only passively / mechanically breaking a circuit.

So I guess basically the module takes the wires from a normal light switch (live + load) so it can open / close the light circuit, plus it also require the neutral from the ring, so the module itself can be powered...

The 3 wires from the module is low voltage and are connected to the old switch as a way to signal to the module your intentions. But since I want to put the module in the lighting rose, I won't be connecting two switches to it, is that ok? Which wire should I use and which one to tape off the end off?

Many thanks, hope this will help others like me.

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

If you connect just one switch then use only the blue and brown wires coming from the module
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                    X