• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dipdog
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2006

fade

I have a quick question about the original cm11a Activehome x10

Is there an x10 compatible software that will allow you to fade a light in and out gradually over several minutes?
    Also, it's been a while since I've checked up on x10, but have they come up with a way to gradually fade on a light that is currently off without first turning it on to 100 percent (I recall that you could dim down a light that was turned on but you couldn't dim up a light that was turned off).
    Thanx
    - Scott
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Re: fade

Simple answer is yes. There are X10 modules that allow you to do what is called a soft start. the LD11 din rail dimmer module can do soft start, and can go directly to a specified level setting. The others are the LWM1 micro module and the LW12 micro module.
    Also if you set it up correctly most light modules can go from 0 to any desired dim setting, but you have to remember not to switch off the module just dim it to zero. Technically its not off just at zero dim.
    For software you could try Homeseer. www.homeseer.com
    I'm testing X10n at the moment, write up of this coming soon so I will let you know if it does it. you can test it yourselfy here http://xion.homehub.org/ . Don't know if the latest version of Activehome can go to a desired dim level first. Its been a while since I've used it.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Karam
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2005

Re: fade

Scott,

IDRATEK Cortex software supports both LM12 and LD11 dimmers and will allow you to create Macros to fade the lights as you please - limited only by the x10 module's resolution (only 22 steps for LM12, but LD11 is better). You can use Cortex to operate x10 modules alone via the PC RS232 port and CM12U, ie. with no requirement for any other IDRATEK hardware. Though this would be an under utilisation of the capabilities of the IDRATEK system (to say the least !) it would still allow you to benefit from other Cortex based features such as scheduling, macros, web access, telephony access and so on. Since Cortex doesn't cost an arm and a leg it may in fact prove more cost effective than more dedicated x10 software.

If you did later add in some IDRATEK hardware you could start to do some more clever stuff - even fade lights inversely wrt outside light level for example.. :-)

Karam
      IDRATEK LTD

Comment

Working...
      X