Thread: Worcester 24i RSF Boiler – Hot water going cold after 3 mins

Automated Home Lurker

Default Worcester 24i RSF Boiler – Hot water going cold after 3 mins

Hi There,

I wonder if any of you guys can help me out with a possible fault diagnosis. I have a Worcester 24i RSF combination boiler and have experienced an intermittent fault recently. Initially it was the shower hot water going cold after around 3 minutes, then after a few more minutes of cold water it would go hot again and so on. This has gradually got worse and now the situation is such that after 3 minutes of hot water to the shower, it goes cold and stays cold. The same applies to the heating. If I turn the heating on, the flame will light up, but just die after a certain time. If you turn the shower off and restart it doesnt make any difference, but if you leave the system for a while and then turn the shower on it will give me the 3 minutes of hot water (approx).
    When I observed the bolier (after the flame had died down) it did seem to be trying to light up if I switched from heating to hot water mode, with a rapid switching/clicking sound, but then nothing.

Can anyone help me before I call out a Worcester engineer? My wife is giving me a hard time because she can’t have her standard 90 minute shower every morning. (What do they do in there?). Thanks for your time in advance.

Mjlworks.

Default Re: Worcester 24i RSF Boiler – Hot water going cold after 3

almost shure it's a thermister problem,

not bad to change.

Automated Home Lurker

Default Re: Worcester 24i RSF Boiler – Hot water going cold after 3

i've had exactly the same symptoms as the first post,did it turn out to be that? also has low pressure on dial,topped it back up now but still has the same problem any ideas and cost?

Automated Home Lurker

I've had the exact same problem. I found that one of the relays (electronic switches) on the circuit board was faulty. The relay (marked RL1 on the circuit board) had a clear plastic housing and I could see black carbon deposts on the relay contacts and on the housing. The 'clicking' sound was coming from this relay and I could see arcing across the relay contacts. De-soldered and replaced this component and the problem is solved. I got the part from Radio Spares (rswww.com).
    Last edited by Doctor Nelson; 27th April 2013 at 12:11 PM.