• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LittleDevil
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2006

Central heating pump

Can someone tell me please exactly how hot a central heating pump gets during use? I have recently fitted a new hotwater cylinder in my old cottage and the cylinder and pump sit directly above my living room. I never used to hear the pump but can now easily. I have bled the system for several days now and can't get any more air out, on checking this evening the pump is VERY hot (can't put your hand on it for more than one second) is this normal or is my pump on its way out. Any help much appreciated.
    LittleD
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

Re: Central heating pump

Hi LittleD,

The pump is usually on the hot side of the boiler so I would expect it to get nearly as hot as the water from the boiler to the radiators/DHW cylinder. Something like 70-85degC would not be unreasonable.
    IIRC 60degC is enough to burn human skin.

Be careful now and use a thermometer if you have one...is the pump temperature different from the piping immediately either side of it?

If you're getting noise from your system after doing some rework then it is possible that you have pipes touching floors/walls or each other, when you didn't have it before. After my boiler was changed I have a couple of pipes touching each other and there is more noise now.

See if you have any pipes touching and if so, very carefully prise them apart and use something soft to keep them apart (eg a small wad of carpet).

HTH,

Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
    X