• Show
Clear All
  • sonix
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2006

Removing cover from wall switch & Nuetral Connection

Hi,
    Got a couple of questions regarding the x10 wall switches
    ( http://www.letsautomate.com/10030.cfm? )

1. How do you remove the plastic cover so you can change the unit code without breaking it (i managed to break one of mine).

2. I've got an appliance switch that needs Neutral, how do I add a neutral connection?

Thanks.
  • pjsmith
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • May 2006

Re: Removing cover from wall switch & Nuetral Connection

Not an answer to this post, as I don't know myself, but I'm just about to start, today, to install some new light switches that require a neutral.

I was wondering how people normally did this in the UK as most switches don't have a neutral wire? As I see it, I might have 2 alternatives.

1 - Pull out the existing twin core and earth and run a 3 core and earth cable down there (hoping there is conduit in my old plastered walls!)

2 - As the switches are plastic and don't in them selves need to be earthed, use the earth cable in the existing twin and earth as the extra wire and do away with an earth down to the switch. Not sure if this is legal, though I'm sure it would be safe as there's nothing there that needs to be earthed and I can swap out the old fused board with a modern one with live/neutral imbalance breakers.

What do you normally do?

Thanks.

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

I would never use the earth wire as the neutral. Don't know about the legal aspect in the UK, but it probably is illegal. Also your house insurance might not be valid if there was a problem.
      I would try and do it properly, and run a proper nutral connection. It will save time later and avoid potential problems. When things aren't done properly they have a habit of coming back and giving you more problems.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• pjsmith
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • May 2006

I've already run a new 4 wire down there. Had to take the floor up in the attic, but there is conduit in the walls, so it wasn;t too difficult.

I have to say, these crystal PLC-BUS wall switches are pretty neat!

Comment

• nickgale
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jun 2005

You should never use the Earth as a Neutral - this would not comply with Part P of the building regs in the UK; the earth or CPC is undersized and only single sheathed. The only option is to replace the cable with a 3 core and earth - but you will need to use sleeving or tape to mark the cores with the correct colour. In the UK If this work is in a kitchen or bathroom then you would have to notify building control or get a Part P registered installer to do the work. Elsewhere in the house you should be able to do the work yourself as long as you're not adding an extra circuit.

Hope this helps

Nick

Comment

Working...
          X