• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

No news = bads news?

I haven't seen ant postings on this technology in months. Is Zwave going anywhere in the UK market?
  • poko
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2005

Re: No news = bads news?

It certainly is beginning to look that way to me. How disappointing.
    Even the US product line is extremely limited, which is odd really. I took one of my homepro mains units apart, and it looks pretty simple to me... In theory, you could plop a z-wave chip in just about anything. I wrote to zigbee about buying a load of chips and never heard back, because I am getting rather fed up with waiting.

It's all a bit of an anticlimax.

Comment

• jimbobdog
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2006

Like many home automation enthusiasts I thought z-wave looked like the perfect technology to automate my home with...I bought a couple of units to play with and got it all working and connected to my Media Centre PC and everything was great.

Hungry for more I wanted to roll out this automation further only to discover the lack of devices, particularly the around the wall mounted light switch type of device. So after searching the interweb for more information on when the UK might get to see wall mounted switch units I finally have some information about them that renews my confidence in z-wave.

After reading this forum post I tracked down Phil Kingery, Z-Wave Sales & Support dude at ACT and asked him about the UK 230v products mentioned in their online product brochure.

Phil was happy to let me know that several of their Euro wall mount units are due for release but was at pains to point out that there is no concrete date set for this - they are working on them and they hope to have them available soon. He also passed on the installation guides for two of the units...I've put them here (ZDW230) and here (ZRW230) if you're interested.

Like many people that can see the potential in z-wave, this news offers some light at the end of the tunnel that new devices are in development and will be with us in the near future...so hang on in there if you are waiting and don't give up on z-wave just yet!

Many thanks to Phil @ ACT for the information

Comment

• frodo
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Oct 2006

I have some bad news regarding the ACT Z-Wave USB controller, it seems the product is no longer available at all. I have tried ordering it from a couple of places without any luck.. It seems that we have to wait for new products to arrive.

That is just too bad since the ACT controller is (currently) the only one supported on linux and now that's not available anymore..

This is what I received just a minute ago:
        "We are sorry to tell you that de ZCU010 USB interface is not deliverable any more. We expect the new one in march 2007."

Comment

• Jimll
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Mar 2006

Lets automate are showing that they have some in stock.

Also Homeseer are considering doing a Europe version of there Z-Troller but it depends on the Number of users in Europe. so we may luck out there again...

I was offered this week some pre production models of ACTS new switches so maybe soon.....
          James Clabon

Comment

• frodo
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Jimll
            Lets automate are showing that they have some in stock.

Also Homeseer are considering doing a Europe version of there Z-Troller but it depends on the Number of users in Europe. so we may luck out there again...

I was offered this week some pre production models of ACTS new switches so maybe soon.....
            Thank you! I just placed an order

Can you tell what kind of products are exactly coming for european market from ACT?

I just cannot understand why Z-Wave is coming to european market so slowly.. even though Intel & Cisco are backing it there really are no products available :/

Comment

• Jimll
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Mar 2006

Yep see the post above by jimbobdog also some wireless switches were mentioned.
              James Clabon

Comment

• jimbobdog
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Sep 2006

To follow up Jimll's post I can confirm (via Phil at ACT) that pre-production wall switch units are available right now to UK distributors for demonstration purposes only.

ACT are awaiting the CE test results and some final engineering development on the units and the product line up should be,

ZDM230 - Dimmer, 3-Way, 3-Wire, 2 rocker, Wall-mount, 600W*, 230V, Euro. White.
                ZDW230 - Dimmer, 3-Way, 3-Wire, 1 rocker, Wall-mount, 600W*, 230V, Euro. White.
                ZRM230 - Relay, 3-Way, 3-Wire, 2 rocker, Wall-mount, 10 amp, 230V, Euro. White.
                ZRW230 - Relay, 3-Way, 3-Wire, 1 rocker, Wall-mount, 10 amp, 230V, Euro. White.
                ZTM230 - Transmitter, 2 rocker, Wall-mount, 230V, Euro. White.
                ZTW230 - Transmitter, 1 rocker, Wall-mount, 230V, Euro. White.

Again - no news on when these might hit production and general release but the message is clear...new products are on the way and this is very encouraging to see demo units being made available!

Come on CE testers...pull your finger out!!

Comment

Working...
                X