• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Irrigation

Has anyone installed a HA irrigation system? Looking to put together a watering system this winter from my 650l water "butt". Gardena range looks better than Hozelock but neither seem overly integrated into a HA
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: Irrigation

Have a look here Paul...

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• n07tv
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • May 2004

You might also want to check out the IDRATEK system? If its simple control of valves at timed intervals, it would be ideal. You can also do it via the web, email, phone and have it tell you what is happening, what temperature the garden is, what water level is in the 'butt', wind speeds, light levels, just by combining a few units. You can even watch things happening using fuly integrated cameras in 'Cortex'

It does a whole lot more ... www.idratek.com

n.

Comment

• FrankMcAlinden
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2004

Hi Paul

I have my irrigation setup based on Ian Birds .....

Also if into diy irrigation Gerry Duprey has done some work on a controller.....

HTH
        Frank
        Home of FirM - the Multi Zone IR Transport System
        http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/index.html

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Have a look at www.wgldesigns.com .
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Paul_B
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2006

All thanks very much for the information. A lot of good links and information.

n07tv do you have much information on the irdtek system? I like the look as it would appear to run over cat5 or any other cable with 4 pairs. Do you have much experience of the system? The only thing I don't like is the faceplates

Comment

• n07tv
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • May 2004

Paul,

There website has all the info you need. The Overview is a good starting place and the Applications pages are packed with some excellent ideas.

I have the system installed and I can't fault it for function and low cost. I understand your comments on the faceplates, but I suppose they have tried to make them similar to the white ones we fit as standard. I have dozens around the house and I think they blend well with neutral colours.

Cheers,
              n.

Comment

• Paul_B
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2006

n07tv I am getting qite excited about the IRDATek system as it seem ideal and at a good price as well. I don't see something that could say sense water levels in soil. Therefore would I have to find another sensor that would interface into an existing IRDATek module?

Comment

• n07tv
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • May 2004

Paul,

I use their general purpose relay units for controlling my lights, some wall sockets, boiler (thermostat input) and various other devices. On the input side, I have 10 temperature sensors (some within MFP units) for heating control and half a dozen light level sensors / motion detectors which provide me with automatic lighting and security. I also have a couple of ODI units which provide general purpose switch inputs (doorbell, door contacts, breakglass).

For water level sensing in the tank, you could interface a cheap float level switch to warn if it is too low and attach this to a digital input. As you say though you may need a suitable moisture sensor in the soil, something with an analogue output could attach to a QAI unit and then you can set the alarm levels in Cortex which would trigger the irrigation system. Perhaps a DIY piece of electronics might do the job ... but now I'm going back to 'A' level physics which is a few years ago now :-)

Cheers,
                  n.

Comment

• Paul_B
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2006

Thanks n07tv A-Level physics is some years ago for me as well. I was trying to remember if resistance or conductivity vary with water level on a electrode. Our physics curriculum didn't touch much on electronics.

I am off to the Homerenovating Show next weekend at Excel which has a Smarthome section. But the idea of IDRATek is getting me quite excited, the use of dedicated Bus for communication but over cheap CAT 5e cabling seems fantastic.

Comment

• FrankMcAlinden
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Feb 2004

Hi Guys

For water level sensing in my future water tank im going to use an ultrasonic sensor......This will be connected to Gerry Dupreys Maxbotix Controller board...This board allows you to connect up to 4 ultasonic sensors ...This will be monitored by an xPL app....The Cortex software i believe has an xPL PLugin .......Heres a link to the Board and sensor

Not sure what im going to use for moisture sensing , but i did get my hands on some chips which might be suitable...just havent had time to try one out as yet..........

HTH
                      Frank

Comment

• n07tv
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • May 2004

Paul,

As Frank states, Cortex does have an xPL plugin for £20 although I never bought that component.

I had a look round various kit sites (Velleman etc) to see if they had any moisture detector modules, but most seem to be for rain detection, i.e they go off as soon as water is detected, not a moisture level which I presume will vary (i.e. be analogue). There might be some DIY circuits on the web I suppose ... maybe you could persuade Frank to get his chips going :-)

Cheers,
                        n.

Comment

• FrankMcAlinden
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Feb 2004

Hi Guys

If a 1 wire solution is ok ...maybe have a look at Hobby boards Moisture Meter and Gypsum sensors........

HTH
                          Frank

Comment

• toscal
                            • Oct 2005

For soil moisture/ rain sensing have a look here www.wgldesigns.com/rain8_switch.html
                            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Paul_B
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2006

Toscal- from what I have read the Rain8 sensor is for detecting rain rather than the moisture level at the roots.

Frank - The 1-wire moisture sensor seems good, can 1-wire interface with x-10 or xpl? Also the ultrasonic sensor looks really good. But as me tank is tall and thin will it not get confused with "echo" from the sides? How accurately would it detect the water surface?

Finally I have found Gardena do a moisture sensor; http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/COMS.htm

and Draper have a pH / mositure sensor

Just wondering if it would be possible to get an analogue signal out from either device and pass it into the Cortex in the IRDATek setup.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X