X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sunbeam
    • Feb 2006

Re: Central Heating but no hot water

it's almost certainly air just go up into the loft and make sure the header tank is full of water, the ball valve could have stuck shut,another trick is to blow down the open vent pipe which is the one looping over the top of the header tank,you could dip your hand in the tank and just make sure there's nothing blocking the cold feed from the header.

Comment

• Tank32
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Sep 2006

well at the weekend, I used a conveluted set up of industrial carpet cleaner and a myriad of tubing to 'suck' through 5 bucket loads of water from the header tank pipe that your refering too. Obviously had to stop every time the header tank got low to refill the system. It pulled water through no problem at all, and quite a bit of the time I could feel hot water coming through the sysytem, then it would go cold, then hot.... fired the boiler up and now the pipes leading into the cylinder from the boiler pipework get hot, which hopefully means hot water is coming through, but this doesnt seem to be the case still, very confused and getting pretty fed up....what else could it be??? Remember the beer promised!!!

Comment

• Tank32
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Sep 2006

Does anyone on here live Margate, Kent? And if so do they want to earn them selves a few quid??

Comment

• sunbeam
          • Feb 2006

I know what will cure it but its a bit risky,

if you can get the case of the fire(pull off the brown panal at the bottom,two philips screws hold the case on,pull of the fire knob at the side and of comes the case)

you will be able to see and feel the thermostat phial (thin piece of copper tubing) it goes into the boiler about 3/4 of the way up on the front ,you'll have to squeeze your arm in and pull it out and let the boiler boil, as soon as it starts boiling turn off the boiler, quick.

Comment

• TimH
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2004

Any update Paul?

Cheers,

Tim.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

• Tank32
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Sep 2006

Nope, no joy at all - had everyone and his dog look at it now, everyone is completley stuck............it should be working!!! Got a friend coming around this week though, to quote me for a new boiler, condensing? seen as we spent £200 putting in a new hot water cylinder. Probably going to be expensive i would think, but at least we should be able to get hot water without the immersion!!

Comment

• sunbeam
                • Feb 2006

did you try the boil tank?

Comment

• Tank32
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Sep 2006

Sunbeam, I am a little afraid to do it to be honest! I have shown your posting to my friend and he is going to do it for me as a last resort. If i do it, i would probably break the boiler as i am a bit of a clutz!! I will let you know how I get on when he does it.

Comment

• Tank32
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Sep 2006

Well after 2 months of the saga starting, I now have hot water through the boiler!!! and not through the immersion heater!!

I have had a new (didnt have one there before) pump fitted to the pipes on the hot water tank in the airing cupboard.

So in laymans terms (as I am one). The fire in the living room, heats the water, the boiler pumps the hot water up the wall (only it doesnt seem to), so the new pump sucks the water up the pipes into the hot water cylinder etc etc etc... it nearly didnt work as well all the pipes were getting very hot with the water but no hot water was still coming out. So i bled a small amount of air out of a venting tap i put in near the hot water cylinder and hey presto!! The return pipe started to get hot and i now have lovely hot water!! Two months of hard work and basically putting in a new system, piece by piece. So I guess with this pump in place I now have pumped system rather than a gravity fed??

Thanks to everyone who replied with their suggestions!!

Comment

• Tank32
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Sep 2006

Actually seens as you are all so helpful on here, heres another one for you. Now the radiators upstairs (only) get semi hot when I have the hot water on. Switch the central heatiing on they get very hot very quickly. Great. But why do the radiators get warm when i have hot water on?? I really dont have any diverter valves or anything, trust me (please read the full thread ) This doesnt really bother me so much now i have gas hot water but if it someting that can fixed quite easily I'll give it a go!! 8O

Thanks again...

Comment

• sunbeam
                        • Feb 2006

when you have your boiler on hot water only, the water returning from the cylinder back to the boiler is finding it's way round the heating.

the only sure way of stopping this is to trace the hot water return pipe and make sure it's the last tee into the boiler.

Comment

• TimH
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Feb 2004

I think this is a common feature of gravity hot water systems. The same thing happens in my parents house, where the bathroom radiators warm up when on the DHW is on.

I guess, if you've only added a pump and no automated valves, that it's doing as Sunbeam suggests. You could change the pipework, or add a couple of valves, but maybe it's not worth the bother, at least until the spring anyway.

Glad you've got it sorted finally :-)

Cheers,

Tim.
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                          X