Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Central Heating but no hot water

Default Re: Central Heating but no hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Tank32
    "the feed to the cylinder'. Should that get hot?
    The pipe from the boiler to the cylinder should get hot, yes :-)
    But the cold feed from the loft shouldn't be hot.

Is there anything that can be put into the tank up stairs in the loft that will clean the system through? i.e de-fir the pipe system?
    Yes, B&Q etc will have a range of products, as will your local plumbers merchant. There's also this site which is quite good: http://www.bes.co.uk/nav_graf/frames_cat.htm go to "Plumbing" then "Cleaners Conditioners..."etc.
    You need to select the right product for your system though so I'd recommend reading the labels in B&Q, or talking to the guy in the merchants. Screwfix also do this sort of stuff. Make sure your pour it into the right tank in the loft (usually the small one), you don't want to add it to your stored drinking & washing water :-(

Do you have separate controllers for the immersion and CH then? (or one controller for the immersion and one for hot water + heating?) I'm a bit confused... Some photos would be good, if you can get any.

It's possible that the pipes still have some residual crud in them, although it's probably unlikley that the pipe feeding the DHW cylinder is completely blocked.

I dont suppose you live near margate kent do you
    No, not particularly close I'm afraid :-(

I think some photos and a sketch, along with the make/model of controllers you have may shed some more light on how your system is configured and we can take it from there :-)

HTH,

Tim.

Automated Home Jr Member

Yep got separate controls for the immersion, cant quite remember the name of it right now, and i also have seperate controls for the HW and CH - a Potterton Mini Minder - I am looking to change that controller now though, apparently a Thermsaver QE2 or a Hortsmann Centaur Plus C21 is the way forwarded as a direct replacement, so shouldnt require any re wiring?? Are these modules any good?

Thanks for the link, I will be going to B&Q at the weekend, to purchase some of that stuff, got to try everything!!

I'll try and take some pics as well. Will post them at the weekend, or would it be easier to email them to you directly?

Paul

if you put your timer on water only does your boiler fire up?

Automated Home Jr Member

yes but only for a short space of time, get a load whooossshh noise then it turns itself off?

Automated Home Jr Member

Is it possible that the boiler cuts outs out before the gravity water is hot enough to circulate? I have gravity primary with pumped heating? If so is there anyway to over ride the thermostat on the boiler to increase the temperature? I have a Baxi Bermuda Fire/Boiler!! :cry:

it's almost certainly air just go up into the loft and make sure the header tank is full of water, the ball valve could have stuck shut,another trick is to blow down the open vent pipe which is the one looping over the top of the header tank,you could dip your hand in the tank and just make sure there's nothing blocking the cold feed from the header.

Automated Home Jr Member

well at the weekend, I used a conveluted set up of industrial carpet cleaner and a myriad of tubing to 'suck' through 5 bucket loads of water from the header tank pipe that your refering too. Obviously had to stop every time the header tank got low to refill the system. It pulled water through no problem at all, and quite a bit of the time I could feel hot water coming through the sysytem, then it would go cold, then hot.... fired the boiler up and now the pipes leading into the cylinder from the boiler pipework get hot, which hopefully means hot water is coming through, but this doesnt seem to be the case still, very confused and getting pretty fed up....what else could it be??? Remember the beer promised!!!

Automated Home Jr Member

Does anyone on here live Margate, Kent? And if so do they want to earn them selves a few quid??

I know what will cure it but its a bit risky,

if you can get the case of the fire(pull off the brown panal at the bottom,two philips screws hold the case on,pull of the fire knob at the side and of comes the case)

you will be able to see and feel the thermostat phial (thin piece of copper tubing) it goes into the boiler about 3/4 of the way up on the front ,you'll have to squeeze your arm in and pull it out and let the boiler boil, as soon as it starts boiling turn off the boiler, quick.

Any update Paul?

Cheers,

Tim.