• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • racine
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2006

Sorry for being thick

I have moved into a flat built in the 1960's, and my phone reception is terrible, coming in to flat for the telephone i have four colour wires in a cable ( orange, blue, green, brown) i take this to be the old telephone wiringof these

the blue wire has been linked to a blue wire with a thin white stripe very shoddily (manually twisted together)

the orange wire has been shoddily linked to a white wire with thin blue stripes.

the other wires are just left hanging

there is no proper device to connect them together with, can some one please tell what i need do to in order to improve my reception, sorry for my terminology but this really is not my thing.

thanks in advance

racine
  • sholao
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2005

Re: Sorry for being thick

Have you tried asking the phone company to try and fix the problem?

I'm not sure if you are in the UK, but BT (uk telephone provider is responsible for the line upto the termination box, so if that is where the problem is, they should fix it.
    Shola Ogunlokun
    I want to fly a hang glider across the UK

Comment

• Dazman
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2006

Make sure you tell them the problem is effecting voice quality.
      They are not bound to fix data related issues for free.
      But if you complain about severe loss of voice quality they are contractually bound to fix it for nowt.
      I missed this trick and they wanted to charge me 45 quid to fit a new termination box.
      I told them to poke it. Pulled a few favours and got a friend of a friend (who works for BT) to supply a free box to me and fitted it myself :twisted:

Good Luck.

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Technically you're not supposed to work on any of BT's wiring - you have to call them in. However, when they do come they're likely to install an "NTE5 Master Socket", like this (scroll down the page to see it):

BT will wire up your NTE5 as follows:

If you have broadband, you may find that a faceplate splitter might be useful. this replaces the "NTE5" faceplate with single standard BT socket, with a faceplate containing a filtered BT socket for phones and an unfiltered RJ11 for your router. Solwise do them via the link above.

As others have suggested, the first port of call should be the phone company, if you get no joy then maybe the above links will be of some use ;-)

HTH,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
        X