• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe-r
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2006

2 ethernet connections

hi, i have a BT voyager 205 adsl router with an ethernet connection to the internet and was just wondering if i could get another router the same as the other to connect to the internet in another phone socket in another room or do i have to pay bt for another line or something?
    thanks, Joe
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

Re: 2 ethernet connections

The Voyager 205 has both allows you to connect one computer to the internet via USB and one via Ethernet. A datasheet on the unit is here:

or

You can connect your first PC to the router via USB and then you have two options for connecting the second one:
    a) run an ethernet (Cat5) cable between the router and your second PC (this is the cheapest option, but may be unsightly)
    b) connect a wireless access point to the ethernet port of the existing router, and add a wireless card (or USB dongle) to the second PC.

There is also a third way, which would be to replace the BT router with something else, e.g. "3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 54Mbps ADSL2/2+ Modem Firewall Router with Wireless 54Mbps PC Card **AND** USB Adapter"
    Buy the latest Laptops, Desktops, Tablets & more! Amazing deals for large & small business, public sector & home offices

This is a combined router and wireless access point. You would locate this in the same place as your existing BT router and it then provides the combined functions of option (b) above. Even if you don't want to ditch your BT router you could still use this 3Com device as just an access point without using the internet router part (I did exactly this, with this same 3Com router, for a recent work project).

It's a good price for the 3Com, particularly as it includes both a laptop wireless card and a USB wireless dongle (good for either a laptop or desktop).

If you need more info just let me know and I can knock up a sketch for you :-)

HTH,

Tim.
    (p.s. I've no connection to 3Com or Misco, just a happy customer :-))
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• joe-r
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2006

so is the product in the link http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...~MJ~/index.htm everything i need to replace my current broadband connection the router will be downstairs with the laptop connected to the router and i will use the wireless connection on a pc upstairs, will the product in the link have the correct thing to use on a pc or is it for a laptop?
      thanks, Joe

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Hi Joe,

Yes, provided that the laptop next to the router has either:
        a) Wireless / WiFi built-in already, or
        b) a wired network port (RJ45 socket), or
        c) a 32bit PC Card slot to accept the blue "credit card" style adaptor in the picture.

And that the PC upstairs has a spare USB slot for the silver USB adaptor also included in the router bundle.

If you already have a phone socket near the PC upstairs you could locate the router there, use a wired connection to that PC and connect the laptop into the network via the wireless adaptors. There's enough bits in the box to connect it up a couple of ways :-)

Just one last bit of advice - when you set up the router make sure you enable all the available security features so you are fully protected. See this link for more details:

Good luck,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
        X