• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisgare
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2013

Clock stopped - February 8th 2018

Well, I had to resort to a full-on, battery-pull reset of the controller this morning in my dressing gown.

I tried the recommended of manually resetting the clock (which at least put my heating on) clicking on and off the automatic Wi-Fi update button several times but no avail. The clock just solidly remained at the time I manually set it to. I waited an hour but with no change.

I've read all the previous threads on this subject and saw that even I had such an issue way back in 2016 but there was no indication of how to cure this problem other than a battery removal.

HONEYWELL, THIS IS A MAJOR SOFTWARE BUG IN THE CONTROLLER THAT HAS TO BE ADDRESSED. I really don't mind all the litte probelms that get raised here, in fact I quite enjoy reading about them but this is quite an unacceptable bug.

Thank heavens I do not use EvoHome to controller my hot water heating is all I can say. My house is full of software clocks and with the addition of Amzazon Spots I have two more. In all the decades of their use I cannot remember another example of a clock sticking!

It's the worst possible bug there can be - waiting for the noise of the HR92s to start at 07:02 and nothing happens.

Please Honeywell try and get to the bottom of this. I'm a great fan and been a user since the b/w system but this is just an unacceptable problem in such a critically important consumer household tool. Chris

Update: Looks like others had clock problems this morning - see thread: http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...0-17-03/page34 My clock was reading 05 something as well.
    Last edited by chrisgare; 8 February 2018, 10:25 AM.
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

I too woke up to a cold house this morning (of all mornings). But my clock hadn't stopped. It was 30 mins slow! Made me think my alarm clock went made. I left it, and then an hour later every thing appeared to have gotten back to normal, the clock was back to the proper time.
    Wonder what happened there?

Comment

• IM35461
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jan 2012

Seems that an old problem has returned.

Perhaps it does not like the cold

It is interesting that the screen saver shows a different time from the main display.

Still getting it to show the outside temperature was such a vital important addition, not like keeping good time.
      Last edited by IM35461; 8 February 2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• chrisgare
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2013

Thank heaven; the heasting came on as expected this morning!

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

And my clock was the perfect time too, not the normal 2 mins out. We celebrate the small joys.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Despite having had this problem a few times over the last few years and having posted about it previously, this time I was not affected!

It does seem to be a random software bug to me... it's not just that the time gets out, it stops altogether until a reboot.

Comment

• chrisgare
              Automated Home Guru
              • Dec 2013

It seems to me that quite a few individuals had problems with their clocks yesterday morning. This is too much of a coincidence so I suspect it is Honeywell systems issue - a bad data download perhaps in combination issue with bad coding in the controller that stalls the clock. So you are right Simon.

No comment forthcoming from Honeywell though for such a major issue so far.

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Had no problem with my clock stopping. It is as usual always 2 to 3 minutes out whether I reset it or not. The reason will be Honeywell’s server must be on a different planet similar to earth and when the Big Bang occurred it happened 2 minutes earlier for Mother Earth compared to Mother Honeywell.

Comment

• filbert
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Oct 2017

Not had any problem with my clock, so far. Might be putting the mockers on it now, of course....

Comment

• richardjh
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Nov 2017

I went to alter my clock today as it is a few minutes slow and noticed the date/time is set to "Wifi auto update". Clearly it isn't! Does anyone know what the clock source is? Is this (S)NTP based or something proprietary?

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

I think it syncs to an NTP server running inside an antique grandfather clock at Honeywell Towers, which gets wound once a fortnight by the cleaning lady, but which stops if she has a few days off.

Unless anyone can think of a better explanation...

Comment

• DBMandrake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Sep 2014

Has anyone got around to wiresharking the traffic from the Evotouch yet ? Is there any naked ntp traffic visible or is all communication (including time setting) done through a TLS connection to the Honeywell servers ?

I keep meaning to set up a spare Raspberry Pi 2 as a hostapd style access point to connect the Evotouch to, and then do a tcpdump to a file for later analysis...
                        Last edited by DBMandrake; 13 February 2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• G4RHL
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                          I think it syncs to an NTP server running inside an antique grandfather clock at Honeywell Towers, which gets wound once a fortnight by the cleaning lady, but which stops if she has a few days off.

Unless anyone can think of a better explanation...
                          Narr. The time lag has to be the server is on another planet. Indeed it may now be in a Tesla car on the front end of a rocket heading to Mars. Honeywell are not alone with these quirks. LightwaveRF are convinced dusk is the same as sunset and dawn is sunrise. In a way it’s funny. We have all these gadgets and complicated systems around us. We have had atomic clocks for ages and yet one simple clock cannot keep the right time. It gives us something to moan about though.

Comment

• IM35461
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Jan 2012

Every other clock in my living room and of course every computer and smartphone knows the exact time.

One clock does not, evohome and I suspect the time server information must be no longer valid. If it was valid but wrong, all our controllers would be wrong by the same offset.

Still if I dig into the menus it now for some owners displays the possible outside temperature updated heaven knows how often

Comment

• CT1
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Apr 2016

Einstein did show that time is relative.

Comment

Working...
                              X