• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mtmcgavock
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
    Mine is a Glow Worm Ultimate, now approaching 23 years old. 2 years ago the fan started getting noisy, I bought a replacement but never fitted it, as the occasional squirt of lubricant does the job. The new fan cost me just over £100, rather different from the last time I had it replaced and quoted replacement costs of over £300! My service man every year says it’s one of the best they come across unlike today’s stuff. But I need to consider its replacement and new radiators as other things are afoot in the house including decorating and logic says do the boiler first. Well the lady of the manor would so dictate!
    Funnily enough my fan is a bit noisy too! However it is the second fan (We used to do the maintenance on the house before I bought it) so the fan is about 7 years old. The advantage of living on an estate full of them is when I replace one that has failed I save all the parts that are good - so i've got a bit of a stock pile!

In terms of replacement - run it till it eventually fails. I wouldn't replace mine for something newer until it's unrepairable. As long as they're serviced regularly and the pilot injector is cleaned out properly they are relatively reliable. PCBs can go but they're an easy change.

Comment

• frankmalia
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Apr 2019

Set Point Issue on one room.

Seen this twice now, my dining room keeps getting a Setpoint 30’C, this happen yesterday after software update and this morning while dining room was pre heating before setpoint time had started.
      The Setpoint should be heated to 18.5’C by 07:10am and then change to 5’C at 07:20.
      Woke up before 7am and found Dining room SP 30 and on pre heat symbol.
      Other rooms were on Pre Heat and like living and they had there correct SP.

Bit concerned there is some glitches that is going to cook my house.

Please see picture of Dining room SP schedule and Living room behaving correctly.
      This 30’C SP cannot be a overrule as there is no symbol of clock or mobile phone.
      Setpoint Issue.jpg

Comment

• mtmcgavock
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
        Not an efficient boiler I'm sure but I'm loathe to spend a lot of money replacing it until I have to as the replacement won't last nearly as long.
        Yes my view too. I could have fitted a new boiler when we moved in however I've now had 3 trouble free years out of the Glow Worm. When you consider a new boiler will only last between 10-15 years, I may as well get as much life out of our old appliance And tbh i'm not convinced a new one would be much more efficient, maybe for you as you'll have a perm pilot.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

The boiler details are all optional fields.

Comment

• Andy the Minion
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Nov 2017

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
            Just had the email. The signup asks for boiler and model but it doesn’t seem to know about the models sold by Intergas in the UK, so I had to fine something that looked kinda similar.
            Dear All,
            Please dont worry about the boiler details, it was just background information that was useful for another project - please feel free to ignore it.
            Regards AtM
            Resideo employee. Comments are personal, and likely to get a hard stare from Rameses

Comment

• mikey8156
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Dec 2011

So with the next update we loose zone optimal start time? If so I will not be updating. Optimal start is one of the best things about Evohome.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mikey8156 View Post
                So with the next update we loose zone optimal start time? If so I will not be updating. Optimal start is one of the best things about Evohome.
                Where was it said that optimal start was being removed ? BTW unless you permanently disable the WiFi connection on your Evotouch you can't stop it from updating when a general release update comes out. There is no option in the UI to postpone or reject an update - you are not even notified that one is available or has been installed.
                Last edited by DBMandrake; 3 April 2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• mikey8156
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                  Where was it said that optimal start was being removed ? BTW unless you permanently disable the WiFi connection on your Evotouch you can't stop it from updating when a general release update comes out. There is no option in the UI to postpone or reject an update - you are not even notified that one is available or has been installed.
                  Thread #16 here, yesterday.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Mar 2017

Still on my Beta Firmware.....

Comment

• SteveP
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Dec 2012

Hm, just had to disable the cold weather boost as although the evohome outside temp is showing 8c the actual temp feels more like 15c family were starting to roast even with a minimum boost of 0.5. Could ideally need the warm weather saver running but obviously not working within current parameters - hey ho always going to be a trade off with automation lol

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

Ideally the outside temp used would be a 'feels like' temperature, as that includes wind chill (which chills houses as much as it chills people). Much better than just using a normal 'weather station' type value.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Sep 2014

No, that's discussion about whether per-zone enabling of optimal start will ever come back.

This is a feature the original non-WiFi controllers had which has never been a feature of the WiFi controller. Optimal start still being an all or nothing setting on the WiFI model is what's being said.

A little disapointing but not unexpected, but it can be worked around with additional set points. (Assuming you have any free set point slots in a zone)
                          Last edited by DBMandrake; 3 April 2020, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• roydonaldson
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                            Ideally the outside temp used would be a 'feels like' temperature, as that includes wind chill (which chills houses as much as it chills people). Much better than just using a normal 'weather station' type value.
                            Actually, this was exactly what I was thinking. Last night EvoHome increased me zone temps as it was colder outside, but..it was completely still and didn't feel cold. I tend to find that my house gets cold when it's wet with wind outside. Again, in the dead of winter with snow outside and no wind, the house feels fine.

So, I would suggest a wind chill adjustment would be more appropriate value to use as outside temperature to measure against vs. just absolute outside temp.

Roy.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                              Hm, just had to disable the cold weather boost as although the evohome outside temp is showing 8c the actual temp feels more like 15c family were starting to roast even with a minimum boost of 0.5. Could ideally need the warm weather saver running but obviously not working within current parameters - hey ho always going to be a trade off with automation lol
                              Do the zones in question have remote sensors or just rely on the HR92's sensor ?

Generally a remote sensor will give better weather independent comfort year round with fixed set points - although it can take a little trial and error to find the best location in the room for the remote sensor to go to give subjectively equal comfort under different conditions.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Mar 2017

Have to say the Cold Weather boost here too isn't working well, finding the 10oc outside set point is too high for the Cold Weather Boost to kick in and is boosting zone unnecessarily. Needs to probably be more like 5oc for me....

Panel is reporting 10oc, local weather is saying 11 and my own sensor saying 12 outside too which isn't helping.

Comment

Working...
                                X