• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

Worcester Bosch and Opentherm

I was chatting to a heating engineer who is replacing some TRV bodies for me, and he told me that he has established an Opentherm connection to his boiler using Tado.
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Which model is his WB? And did he need any interface to make his boiler understand OT?

Comment

• HenGus
      Automated Home Legend
      • May 2014

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
      Which model is his WB? And did he need any interface to make his boiler understand OT?
      We didn't get that far and I was paying for his time!! Any explanation would have probably have been too technical for me, and I have no knowledge of Tado.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

I can find no evidence that WB is OT compatible, not directly at least. Also TADO can do more than just OT. So would be interesting if this was true, to find out how the TADO and WB are talking OT.

Comment

• HenGus
          Automated Home Legend
          • May 2014

Worcester Bosch CDI boilers (not junior) with aluminium heat exchanger (from about 2010 onwards) can connect directly to Tado via OT provided the boiler has got 2 BB terminals (tucked down in the RH corner) says my installer.

Comment

• orange
            Automated Home Guru
            • Dec 2014

the installation manuals describe the BB terminals as "DHW temperature controls" > FX/Sense Controls. A and F are for an outside sensor.
            Last edited by orange; 5 April 2017, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2014

If the Sense controls are using the Opentherm protocol then they are Worcester's take on OT and not the standard implementation. Your plumber is extremely lucky that he got TADO to work using OT on that boiler.

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

The same could be said for other boiler manufacturers' implementations of OT....

Comment

• HenGus
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                  If the Sense controls are using the Opentherm protocol then they are Worcester's take on OT and not the standard implementation. Your plumber is extremely lucky that he got TADO to work using OT on that boiler.
                  Or, he knows what he is doing. He is listed as an eco technician.

Comment

• orange
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Dec 2014

I'd be interested to find out more !

https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/pr...n-instructions - page 30

ST10 is where I have my evohome boiler BDR91

my reading of the other connector that it's for DHW control ? - but why have an outside temperature sensor connected to it.

Anybody actually tried this with the R8810A1018 ?

Comment

• orange
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Dec 2014

so it turns out the TADO supports the Worcester Bosch EMS Bus protocol directly as well as Opentherm - so I'm suspecting your engineer was confused and assumed it was the same thing

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jul 2014

That makes more sense. Infact I've read that Worcester Bosch were almost totally against Opentherm because they saw no value in it.

Comment

Working...
                        X