• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marcuslee
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Dec 2009

DFP related queries

Hi All,

Linking from DFP button to the, built on the fly, HVAC object's "Configure and Activate Menu", does anyone know how to modify the Annunciations attributes of it? Like to stop it doing Voice Broadcasts, also changing the colour of the panel's display etc?

Also anyone know of the best way to have the display show the average temperature of a room which has 2 Temp Sensors?

Finally anyone know of a way to have button 7:
    - check if the lights are off, and if off, turn on lights to Scene 1 (dimmer level 25%)
    - or if lights are already on, set lights to Scene 1
    - or if lights area already on and at Scene 1 to turn lights off?

Basically I'm going to do the above again for button 8, but:
    - check if the lights are off, and if off, turn on lights to Scene 2 (dimmer level 100%)
    - or if lights are already on, set lights to Scene 2
    - or if lights area already on and at Scene 2 to turn lights off?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

two temp' sensors - try General Logic / Summation ...

tried it just now - connecting inputs was straightforward, gain of 0.5, too, but couldn't manage to send the result anywhere ...

in our case, we were trying to have the result spoken by the local intercom (MFP) ...

Chris

PS: also tried creating a (virtual) DTS module, with the General Logic object connected as an alternative temperature source, so the result would be displayed in PlanView - which all seemed fine, but couldn't manage to get it working !

PPS: it worked - connection could only be made from the DTS end, then we had to wait for the next update, or click Re-Evaluate in the General Logic object ... after which the (virtual, not-Enabled) DTS began showing the average temperature of two readings, in PlanView, one from a PLH, the other from an MFP ... next challenge will be to make it show the average from more than two !

PPPS: which was achieved by cascading Gates in the General Logic object - output of first feeding one input of next, etc, with Gains set to 1.0 in all but last, where it was set to the inverse of the total number of readings ... after which, the average temperature could be spoken by entering a suitable message after clicking the DTS speak icon, and Connecting (eg) a button on the MFP to the DTS Speak Local connection ...

MFP & DFP presumably interchangeable, ditto Speak & Display ...

PPPPS: thanks for prompting me to try this - we find General Logic objects don't come naturally, and getting stuck-in seems to be the way of getting to grips with them !
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 29 May 2013, 03:33 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• marcuslee
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
      two temp' sensors - try General Logic / Summation ...

tried it just now - connecting inputs was straightforward, gain of 0.5, too, but couldn't manage to send the result anywhere ...

in our case, we were trying to have the result spoken by the local intercom (MFP) ...

Chris

PS: also tried creating a (virtual) DTS module, with the General Logic object connected as an alternative temperature source, so the result would be displayed in PlanView - which all seemed fine, but couldn't manage to get it working !

PPS: it worked - connection could only be made from the DTS end, then we had to wait for the next update, or click Re-Evaluate in the General Logic object ... after which the (virtual, not-Enabled) DTS began showing the average temperature of two readings, in PlanView, one from a PLH, the other from an MFP ... next challenge will be to make it show the average from more than two !

PPPS: which was achieved by cascading Gates in the General Logic object - output of first feeding one input of next, etc, with Gains set to 1.0 in all but last, where it was set to the inverse of the total number of readings ... after which, the average temperature could be spoken by entering a suitable message after clicking the DTS speak icon, and Connecting (eg) a button on the MFP to the DTS Speak Local connection ...

MFP & DFP presumably interchangeable, ditto Speak & Display ...

PPPPS: thanks for prompting me to try this - we find General Logic objects don't come naturally, and getting stuck-in seems to be the way of getting to grips with them !
      Thanks for doing all the leg work on average of the 2 temp sensors. Reason why I asked as HVAC object can use more than one temp sensor and will auto use the average of them. So I thought it prudent that the display of the DPF's should also show the same temp as what the HVAC object is using.

I'm wondering now if there is some way to have a connection straight off the HVAC object as the source (I couldn't find it, but I'm wondering if someone else has / or if Viv can confirm there isn't one (yet)).

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

The HVAC object does provide the temperature which it is using for feedback (be it average, maximum or minimum of multiple sensors). In the HVAC object Control panel, Measured Temperature Display, Inside, list you should select the entry which has the HVACs name - namely the HVAC inside temperature. This will then ensure that in the graphical display this is displayed. Then for a DFP it is available via the HVAC - status changed connection. This actually displays the name of the HVAC, the inside temperature, a symbol to indicate heating or not, and finally the target temperature. (Note this feature was added relatively recently so if your Cortex has not been updated say for 6 months then you'll need to update)

Regarding the lighting control question is the 3rd condition that is should turn the light off only when on at scene 1? I.e if on at scene 2 do not turn off?

Comment

• marcuslee
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Karam View Post
          The HVAC object does provide the temperature which it is using for feedback (be it average, maximum or minimum of multiple sensors). In the HVAC object Control panel, Measured Temperature Display, Inside, list you should select the entry which has the HVACs name - namely the HVAC inside temperature. This will then ensure that in the graphical display this is displayed. Then for a DFP it is available via the HVAC - status changed connection. This actually displays the name of the HVAC, the inside temperature, a symbol to indicate heating or not, and finally the target temperature. (Note this feature was added relatively recently so if your Cortex has not been updated say for 6 months then you'll need to update)
          Thanks Karam. That's exactly what I was looking for, and indeed an update was required.

Regarding the lighting control question is the 3rd condition that is should turn the light off only when on at scene 1? I.e if on at scene 2 do not turn off?
          If at Scene1, turn off, If at Scene2, it would set the lights to Scene1 (which is the second condition).

Also Karam, do you know the answer to that question of:
          Linking from DFP button to the, built on the fly, HVAC object's "Configure and Activate Menu", does anyone know how to modify the Annunciations attributes of it? Like to stop it doing Voice Broadcasts, also changing the colour of the panel's display etc?
          Last edited by marcuslee; 3 June 2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

• Viv
            Automated Home Ninja
            • Dec 2004

[QUOTE does anyone know how to modify the Annunciations attributes of it? [/QUOTE]

Both the HVAC and the HVAC Menu will have annunciate options. Visit their behaviour menu click the annunciate button (bottom left) and turn off broadcast.
            If this does not resolve your problem let us know and we can look into it further.

The colour of the Display in its various modes is set in the Displays behaviour menu - Colour tab.
            The 'Idle' colour of the DFP can be changed by sending a 'value' to the 'Idle' colour input connection of the LCD Display object.
            0 Red
            1 Yellow
            2 Green
            3 Blue
            4 Cyan
            5 Purple
            6 White.
            As an example of changng the LCD colour. In Alarm Pro is a connection Information outputs | Unoccupied (day) alarm | On unoccupied. (day) arm. Which you could connect to the Display - Idle colour input(0) e.g. with a value of 0 which means turn it Red.
            Also connect the On unoccupied (day) disarm with a value of 2 which means turn it Cyan. So you can see at a glance the alarm is armed because it i s red.

Typically the idle colour can be made to change for any event.

Viv

Comment

• Viv
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by marcuslee View Post
              Hi All,

Finally anyone know of a way to have button 7:
              - check if the lights are off, and if off, turn on lights to Scene 1 (dimmer level 25%)
              - or if lights are already on, set lights to Scene 1
              - or if lights area already on and at Scene 1 to turn lights off?

Marcus
              First update Cortex to version 26.5.14

Create a Macro of the form as per attched image.

Scene 1 switching.jpg

Connect button 7 to start the Macro.

Viv

Comment

• marcuslee
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Viv View Post
                First update Cortex to version 26.5.14

Create a Macro of the form as per attched image.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]351[/ATTACH]

Connect button 7 to start the Macro.

Viv
                Thanks Viv, will give it a go!

Comment

• marcuslee
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Dec 2009

Thanks Viv, will give it a go!
                  A couple more queries if anyone has had a go at these:
                  - just gave the followinga go; copy and paste of an object, but came back with a Network must be stopped. Has anyone else tried this? In particular I wanted to do this with the macro Viv provided above, and then edit the newly copy, so it also makes me wonder what happens with the new paste, is it given a new name too (otherwise I won't be able to paste back into same parent)?

- anyone know of a way to use "Edit Dimmer ON Value (using LCD)" but across multiple objects? eg if a room has multiple QLD channels servicing it, it's a pain to have to edit all X channel object's Edit Dimmer ON Value (using LCD)?

- an object's "On and hold to reduce dim level", is there any possibility in future for Cortex to add the ability to do a "Macro X and hold to reduce dim level" and a "Macro X and hold to increase dim level"?

I ask, because I was thinking it'd be great to be able to have the above macros assigned to DFP buttons 7 & 8, *and* have the ability to provide the hold actions too?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Dec 2007

>Network must be stopped ...

so far we've only found that when wanting to drag objects from one room to another ...

>editing multiple objects ...

that's long been on our wish list - but imagine it might not be easy to arrange ... one idea, maybe, might be to have summary tables listing attributes of similar objects (some such do already exist) and then be able to copy & paste all or some entries in those tables ... ?

>multiple connections to a button ...

we don't have a DFP to try, but isn't that already possible - either directly in the relevant Connections window, or via a General Logic object ?

BTW, thinking of time-saving features, it would be nice if StructureList didn't get completely redrawn after we edit a name, and PlanView didn't do likewise when we click not on an icon ... and the Plotting data ... message appeared a little less often !

Chris

Comment

• marcuslee
                      Automated Home Ninja
                      • Dec 2009

>multiple connections to a button ...

we don't have a DFP to try, but isn't that already possible - either directly in the relevant Connections window, or via a General Logic object ?
                      In this particular case it was particular to changing the "On and hold to reduce level" to become "[MacroX] and hold to reduce level" ie the ability to substitute a macro for normal button presses, whilst still retaining the 'hold to reduce level' bit.

BTW, thinking of time-saving features, it would be nice if StructureList didn't get completely redrawn after we edit a name, and PlanView didn't do likewise when we click not on an icon ... and the Plotting data ... message appeared a little less often !
                      I've only just down an upgrade to Cortex and indeed found the Plotting data now. But having read Karam's previous reply posts on other topics, it looks to be for performance/stability issues, so I guess I'm ok living with it in that regard!

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Dec 2007

>in this particular ...

ah, had read it differently ...

Comment

• Karam
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Mar 2005

- just gave the followinga go; copy and paste of an object, but came back with a Network must be stopped. Has anyone else tried this? In particular I wanted to do this with the macro Viv provided above, and then edit the newly copy, so it also makes me wonder what happens with the new paste, is it given a new name too (otherwise I won't be able to paste back into same parent)?
                          Yes you do have to stop the network and on 26.7.2 it does seem to then throw up some error windows when you try to paste but appears to complete the copy once these are OK'd. A number gets appended to the name.

- anyone know of a way to use "Edit Dimmer ON Value (using LCD)" but across multiple objects? eg if a room has multiple QLD channels servicing it, it's a pain to have to edit all X channel object's Edit Dimmer ON Value (using LCD)?

- an object's "On and hold to reduce dim level", is there any possibility in future for Cortex to add the ability to do a "Macro X and hold to reduce dim level" and a "Macro X and hold to increase dim level"?

I ask, because I was thinking it'd be great to be able to have the above macros assigned to DFP buttons 7 & 8, *and* have the ability to provide the hold actions too?
                          Possibly I'm not understanding the request/objective here. But one possibility is to make one light (either real or virtual) a 'master' which the others follow the level of (using the Set Level (Output) connection from the master). Then any change to the master Level will propagate to the slaves. Note that using this connection alone will not propagate the on/off state - just the level. The slaves can still be adjusted to be different but any time the master is adjusted (or turned off/on) the slaves will change level to the master value.

The concept of Macro X and hold ... I'm somewhat confused with. The macro could be doing anything so what does 'and hold ..' mean then? Surely 'and hold ...' must reference a button press?
                          Last edited by Karam; 13 October 2013, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• marcuslee
                            Automated Home Ninja
                            • Dec 2009

Yes you do have to stop the network and on 26.7.2 it does seem to then throw up some error windows when you try to paste but appears to complete the copy once these are OK'd. A number gets appended to the name.
                            Thanks for trying it out for me, and also going through the errors (part reason why I didn't want to do it on the live system, so ta!).

Possibly I'm not understanding the request/objective here. But one possibility is to make one light (either real or virtual) a 'master' which the others follow the level of (using the Set Level (Output) connection from the master). Then any change to the master Level will propagate to the slaves. Note that using this connection alone will not propagate the on/off state - just the level. The slaves can still be adjusted to be different but any time the master is adjusted (or turned off/on) the slaves will change level to the master value.
                            Thanks for that Karam, though I couldn't find the object to use for creating a virtual light? Tools > Design Network > Add Cortex Logic Object > ???

The concept of Macro X and hold ... I'm somewhat confused with. The macro could be doing anything so what does 'and hold ..' mean then? Surely 'and hold ...' must reference a button press?
                            To better explain, currently we have a "On and hold to reduce dim level" available, which basically provides the functionality of:
                            press button = lights on
                            hold button = reduce dim level

It would be great to have somehow a "[Userdefined macro] and hold to reduce dim level" available. Which would allow:
                            press button = userdefined macro

ie that way I'd be able to provide DFP button 7:
                            press button = executes Viv's macro [which checks to see if lights are on, if so, then change to Scene 2, if not, then set to Scene 2 and turn on]

and something similar to DFP button 8 (except it's setting to Scene 4, and increasing dim level

So it's providing 2 scene levels and the ability to adjust dim levels up and down all by 2 buttons.

Comment

Working...
                            X