Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Breakiing news: UK Amazon Echo works with Evohome!

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

just wondered what sort of time lag people are getting, between saying what you want & that thing happening ...

presumably speed of Internet connection has an effect ... but, two or three seconds, or ... ??

Automated Home Legend

It's almost the same time as using the App. The Groups are a great advantage of Echo. I finally have an Upstairs and Downstairs.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Alexa can struggle with 'downstairs' because she's also listening for 'down'.

Although strangely 'upstairs' seems relatively immune. Maybe it depends on your voice/accent.

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Alexa can struggle with 'downstairs' because she's also listening for 'down'.

Although strangely 'upstairs' seems relatively immune. Maybe it depends on your voice/accent.
    Paul, have you a shedload of smart kit connected to your Echo? If so, how have you approached connecting it?

Is the best way to plan first? I have Evohome, LWRF, Hue, SmartThings so a lot of duplication or near duplication. I put everything on then took it off as Alexa was confused and only loaded Evohome.

Is the best way to rename everything so each item has a clear different name?

Can I pick and chose what I put on? For example I have my hue bulbs within SmartThings but it would make sense that they are connected direct. So is the only way to load up SmartThings and then remove the Hue bulbs that have been uploaded through SmartThings.

Automated Home Legend

[QUOTE=Mavis;29449]I knew you couldn't resist G4RHL I have just bought 2 more!

I can see why you have bought two more! Like you I have confused my new mistress and will have to wipe and reset and rethink names.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

My system is as confused as yours, Mavis!

One useful feature is that the groups facility in Alexa also works with single devices, so you can use it to set up alternative names, without having to rename your stuff in the various connected systems.

Quote Originally Posted by victorp1612 View Post
    Had the same issue.
    To resolve , had to disable and re-enable the skill.
    After a discovery, I've noticed that HotWater and Eco / Away / Custom modes are available.

'Alexa , turn on the hot water' now works

Attachment 868
    You spotted this. Amazon jumped the gun a little but this is out now. Please rate the integration skill in Alexa app as we know loads of people have used this skill. ( plus this is subject close to my heart so I am keen to show what people think)

All the modes apart from day off are supported. Day off confuses Alexa so sorry we are still thinking about that one. (It's the off bit)
    Right now you cannot set times. I.e. Hot water on for 1 hour - making a quick action on will default to permanent until you say off, or use app etc. Then it will revert to schedule.

Ps thanks to the guinea pigs ( you know who you are )
    Last edited by Rameses; 29th November 2016 at 12:21 AM.
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

think we expected more enthusiasm for Echo - impression is there's some way to go ... or maybe the added benefit is not yet all that clear ?

[QUOTE=G4RHL;29512]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    I knew you couldn't resist G4RHL I have just bought 2 more!

I can see why you have bought two more! Like you I have confused my new mistress and will have to wipe and reset and rethink names.
    I am easily impressed! But I know what the reality will be - The same as me using Siri, I won't use it enough to make it second nature. I will have to make an effort. I haven't tried yet but hopefully it will make it easier when my family ask me all the Wiki questions such as how old is he/she when we are watching something on the TV. I will also make the effort to use her to boost the heating in the sitting room in the evenings.

Is it just me that greets her in the morning and bids her good night?

Thanks Paul, good to know it is not just me that is disorganised with tech! That sounds like a plan putting single items into a group. Hmm think I will sit down with pen and paper at dinner time and try and plan things out (nothing better than a low tech plan to get a high tech solution.)

Automated Home Legend

I've wiped Echo completely and will start afresh but like you need to think carfully about how and what I set up giving priority to heating and Bose SoundTouch. I think I will have to rename some items. Paul's suggestion of single items in a group of one is good. With LightwaveRF Alexa wanted to set up devices that do not exist. They did a year ago but all has been unpaired, wiped and reinstalled since so it seems LWRF have an issue as remnants are left and Alexa finds them. This may apply to other systems where we have wiped and redone.