• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJB
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2020

Evohome firmware 02.00.19.31 Beta & OpenTherm

Hello

Excellent news that the Evohome is being updated. I've signed up to the Beta trial but I'm wondering if any of the new features will be of benefit to users of the OpenTherm Bridge (& an OpenTherm compatible boiler)?

Many thanks, Pete
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Does your OT boiler have an external temperature sensor? In theory the Evohome will use that in preference to the internet temperature. However I can see no evidence of the Evohome controller requesting this outdoor temperature from the OTB.
    Last edited by bruce_miranda; 7 April 2020, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• top brake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2015

the user smart weather features apply when using OT Bridge
      the installer zone scaling feature is not applicable when using OT Bridge
      I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

I cannot see any evidence to suggest that the controller is requesting the external temperature from the boiler via the OTB. In fact post the beta firmware here is absolutely no new OT data that is exchanged between the controller and the OTB.

Comment

• kevinsmart
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
          I cannot see any evidence to suggest that the controller is requesting the external temperature from the boiler via the OTB. In fact post the beta firmware here is absolutely no new OT data that is exchanged between the controller and the OTB.
          I agree, my boiler is reporting 12.44C via OpenTherm but the Evotouch is displaying 9C and Cold Weather Boost is activated.

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

Same. I don't have my OTGW in place at the moment but I can see that the boiler and Evohome are both displaying different outside temperatures.

So, if Evohome is supposed to be pulling this data from the boiler then I think we've found a bug - it isn't working.

P.

Comment

• PJB
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Feb 2020

Does your OT boiler have an external temperature sensor? In theory the Evohome will use that in preference to the internet temperature. However I can see no evidence of the Evohome controller requesting this outdoor temperature from the OTB.
              Yes .. my boiler has weather comp installed. OTGW is picking up the Outside Temp correctly from the boiler. Evohome controller is showing a different outside temp. 13degC vs. 9degC this mid-morning. I have both new Smart Weather features disabled.

So I agree ... Evohome is not displaying the outside temp provided by the boiler.

Whether Evohome is using the outside temp contained in the OT messages from the boiler is another matter

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

I have been looking at the radio messages that go between the Controller and the OTB. So far I've seen nothing that tells me the Outdoor temperature is even being requested or sent back between the Controller and the OTB. So the fact that the Controller and the Boiler show different temperatures isn't a surprise. But is this a bug or a feature? Well a change log would have been able to tell us that.

Comment

• top brake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Feb 2015

depends if the boiler has an outside sensor and whether it has been coded to share that over OT
                  refer to boiler manufacturer to find out...
                  I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• kevinsmart
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Sep 2018

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                    depends if the boiler has an outside sensor and whether it has been coded to share that over OT
                    refer to boiler manufacturer to find out...
                    Mine is, as confirmed by monitoring via an OTGW.

I see no evidence, unfortunately, that Evohome is using this temperature in preference to the Internet reading.

It was clear yesterday that Cold Weather Boost was active based on the displayed Internet temperature, whereas it shouldn’t have been based on the higher OpenTherm reading.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jul 2014

@paulockenden, time for you to connect up your OTGW. I think on this thread, you are the only one who has a proper OT boiler, a boiler connected external temperature sensor, OTGW, OTB and HGI80.
                      I have an external temperature sensor connected to the boiler but my boiler is not natively OT. My Vaillant uses the VR33 but I have no idea if the VR33 can pass on the external temperature over the OT bus.

Comment

• PJB
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Feb 2020

Not wishing to brag but my boiler does pass outside temp to OT. I monitor it with an OTGW & HomeAssistant

My setup:

ATAG iC Economiser Plus27 combi. (installed Sept 2018)
                        Weather compensation connection to boiler
                        Evohome & OpenTherm Bridge
                        HR92UK rad valves in 5 zones.
                        Nodo-Shop OpenTherm Gateway
                        Home-Assistant monitoring all of the above.

Granted, I don’t have an HGI80 or DIY equivalent ... but it’s only a matter of time.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jul 2014

@PJB without an HGI80 or DIY, how are you sure that the Outside temperature from your OT boiler is reaching the Controller?

Comment

• PJB
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Feb 2020

@PJB without an HGI80 or DIY, how are you sure that the Outside temperature from your OT boiler is reaching the Controller?
                            @Bruce ... good point. My mistake. I can’t be sure. Perhaps it’s an OTB firmware update we need too?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2014

except that the OTB cannot be end user updated. The only way I can see this work is if the OTB is genuinely designed as a simple OT bridge I.e. it can respond and rely any OT command as long as they are within the spec. So the updated controller would just ask the OTB to query the boiler for the Outdoor temperature using the relevant OT command.

Comment

Working...
                              X