• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • courcirc8
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2014

Compatibility Evohome/Opentherm with different boilers

I know that Opentherm is not really implanted in UK but this forum regroups user from all europe (probably thanks to the very good professionals «animating» this forum).
    I have read some good and bad experiences connecting Evohome on a Opentherm boiler, and I'm starting to do some research to replace my old one. Of course I want it connected to Evo through Opentherm with the R8810 gateway!
    I learned from (http://otgw.tclcode.com/matrix.cgi#boilers) that the norm only request the OT device to accept a small number of commands, so that some thermostats/boiler combinations will be limited in therm of functionality.
    I listed the different message ID numbers that Evohome is able to generate. The one marked with a star are mandatory for the standard (https://www.domotiga.nl/attachments/...ation-v2-2.pdf and http://otgw.tclcode.com/matrix.cgi#thermostats)
    Because Evo can generates messages not recognized by some boilers, I suspect I should target a boiler accepting the messages(9,16,19,26,28,56) in order to avoid any problem working with Evo...

0* Master and slave status flags
    1* Control set-point (ie Water temp)
    3* Slave config flags
    5 Application-specific fault flags/fault code
    9 Temp Override
    14* Maximum relative modulation level setting
    16 Room Set-point
    17* Relative modulation level
    18 CH Water pressure
    19 DHW low rate
    24 Room temperature
    25* Boiler temperature
    26 DHW temperature
    27 Outside temperature
    28 Return water temperature
    56 DHW set-point
    57 max CH water set-point
    63 reserved
    128 ?
    255 ?

So, here comes my question (!) If you are an Evo/Opentherm user, which boiler do you have, and what are your observations on the temperature regulation? I'm more interested by oil boilers but we could regroup information for gas as well.
    Many thanks...
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by courcirc8 View Post
    I know that Opentherm is not really implanted in UK but this forum regroups user from all europe (probably thanks to the very good professionals «animating» this forum).
    I have read some good and bad experiences connecting Evohome on a Opentherm boiler, and I'm starting to do some research to replace my old one. Of course I want it connected to Evo through Opentherm with the R8810 gateway!
    I learned from (http://otgw.tclcode.com/matrix.cgi#boilers) that the norm only request the OT device to accept a small number of commands, so that some thermostats/boiler combinations will be limited in therm of functionality.
    I listed the different message ID numbers that Evohome is able to generate. The one marked with a star are mandatory for the standard (https://www.domotiga.nl/attachments/...ation-v2-2.pdf and http://otgw.tclcode.com/matrix.cgi#thermostats)
    Because Evo can generates messages not recognized by some boilers, I suspect I should target a boiler accepting the messages(9,16,19,26,28,56) in order to avoid any problem working with Evo...

0* Master and slave status flags
    1* Control set-point (ie Water temp)
    3* Slave config flags
    5 Application-specific fault flags/fault code
    9 Temp Override
    14* Maximum relative modulation level setting
    16 Room Set-point
    17* Relative modulation level
    18 CH Water pressure
    19 DHW low rate
    24 Room temperature
    25* Boiler temperature
    26 DHW temperature
    27 Outside temperature
    28 Return water temperature
    56 DHW set-point
    57 max CH water set-point
    63 reserved
    128 ?
    255 ?

So, here comes my question (!) If you are an Evo/Opentherm user, which boiler do you have, and what are your observations on the temperature regulation? I'm more interested by oil boilers but we could regroup information for gas as well.
    Many thanks...
    here is a list of OpenTherm association members so you can find a true OpenTherm boiler

Members The majority of current members are directly responsible for implementing the OpenTherm protocol; i.e. the manufacturers of controlling devices such as room thermostats and burner automations. A number of appliance manufacturers* who are responsible for implementing the OpenTherm protocol are also members of the association. Naturally, the said developments are not restricted to Dutch territory
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• erik
      Automated Home Guru
      • Feb 2015

Courcirc, how do you know that Evohome would use (9,16,19,26,28,56) ?

Top Brake, does being an association member guarantee that their OT-boilers support all needed commands?

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by erik View Post

Top Brake, does being an association member guarantee that their OT-boilers support all needed commands?
        if their appliance meets the OpenTherm protocol yes, it is meant to be a standard, unfortunately some appliance manufacturers deviate from the standard... you would need to ask the appliance manufacturer if their implementation is true to OpenTherm

Comment

• courcirc8
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2014

Erik, this was according to http://otgw.tclcode.com/matrix.cgi#thermostats but I will spy the bus when I will have my new installation to conrfirm this!

Top brake there is no "true Opentherm" or other OT, you can say you comply with OT standard as soon as you support the mandatory messages (ID 0 1 3 17 23).

Thanks for your replies.
          Courcirc8

Comment

• courcirc8
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Dec 2014

After some hours spent on the net, I'm focusing on the OERTLI OEnoviaFioul OVCR (18 or 24) with hot water tank 100HL. I found very little tech data, but this is apparently the same boiler as the Remeha Calora Tower Oil & Tank BS 100 HL, and you find all the installation documents on the net for this one! Did somebody bought one of those 2 references (I suppose you can find the same with De Dietrich brand)

Comment

• willcurrie
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Apr 2015

Rather than opening a new thread I'm reviving this opentherm one. My boiler optionally supports 0-10v input to range rate it's output. I'm struggling to find info on the R8810A opentherm receiver. Will it work as a 0-10v controller for my boiler? If there is a link to tech spec/ddocumentation for the R8810A could someone post it please.

Comment

• erik
                Automated Home Guru
                • Feb 2015

I don't think Opentherm has anything to do with 0-10V?

Though there seem to be converters available from 0-10V to Opentherm... but the other way around? Don't know.

Comment

• top brake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by willcurrie View Post
                  Rather than opening a new thread I'm reviving this opentherm one. My boiler optionally supports 0-10v input to range rate it's output. I'm struggling to find info on the R8810A opentherm receiver. Will it work as a 0-10v controller for my boiler? If there is a link to tech spec/ddocumentation for the R8810A could someone post it please.
                  I don't think Opentherm has anything to do with 0-10V?

Though there seem to be converters available from 0-10V to Opentherm... but the other way around? Don't know.
                  2 quite different proportional control protocols:

OpenTherm
                  Communication is digital and bi-directional between the controller (master) and the boiler (slave). Various commands and kinds of information can be transferred; however, the most basic command is to set the boiler's target water temperature.

OpenTherm makes use of a traditional untwisted 2-wire cable between controller and boiler.

OpenTherm is not polarity sensitive: wires can be swapped. The maximum wiring length is 50 m up to maximum 2 x 5 ohm resistance.

For backward compatibility with traditional switching thermostatic controllers, OpenTherm specified that if the two wires are connected together then the boiler will switch on.

0-10 V is analogue proportional

0-10 V is one of the earliest and simplest electronic lighting control signaling systems; simply put, the control signal is a DC voltage that varies between zero and ten volts. The controlled lighting should scale its output so that at 10 V, the controlled light should be at 100% of its potential output, and at 0 V it should at 0% output (i.e. “Off”). Dimming devices may be designed to respond in various patterns to the intermediate voltages, giving output curves that are linear for: voltage output, actual light output, power output, or perceived light output.
                  Last edited by top brake; 17 April 2015, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• willcurrie
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Apr 2015

Of, kinda hoped the 0-10 v might be in there.

Comment

• top brake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by willcurrie View Post
                      Of, kinda hoped the 0-10 v might be in there.
                      Evohome will operate very efficiently for you with the BDR91 controlling the heat demand

Comment

• courcirc8
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Dec 2014

Just in case I bought my Opentherm gateway here: waakzaamwonen.com
                        Opentherm is still very popular in Holland/Germany, much less in other countries.

Comment

• erik
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Feb 2015

Holland? What's Holland? You mean the Netherlands? :P

Comment

• courcirc8
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Dec 2014

Oups! Now everybody knows I'm French! Netherlands ...yes!

Comment

• top brake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Feb 2015

Holland? What's Holland? You mean the Netherlands? :P
                              Immerse yourself in the beauty of the Netherlands – from our bustling cities to our serene nature. Come visit us and discover how holidays in the Netherlands are always special. All year long!

According to the tourism board??

I guess it is like saying GB or UK always confused me with different names in different languages too

Comment

Working...
                              X