• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonix
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2006

PC Automated Shutdown / Startup

i'm trying to automate the shutdown of my pc by x10 (or possibly z wave). What i'm thinking of doing is using a UPS and an appliance module.

I would then cut the power to the UPS, and get it to do a shutdown. The main problem i see is how can i switch the pc back on, as the power swtich needs to be pressed.

Anyone got an alternative/ideas?

Thanks.

snx.
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Re: PC Automated Shutdown / Startup

Have you looked into Wake-onLAN (technology) this can be done through multiple devices. But I put the server into hibernation and then send a WOL magic packet to wake it up

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Re: PC Automated Shutdown / Startup

Some BIOS settings allow you to automatically boot the pc up when power has been restored after a power cut or similar.
      Another way is to use a CM11 or CM12 and the activehome software, set up a normal macro, NOT A FAST MACRO. Keep the serial link connected between the CM and pc. Now when the pc is off and this macro is triggered it will wake the pc up. The macro could just switch on a dummy module. The macro could be set up to say A1 so when you send A1 on the pc would switch on. Or set it up as a timed event. I know this works in Windows 98, also I am not too sure if the pc stays on after the macro is triggered.
      If the ups has a serial link you may be able to do something similar so when power is restored to the ups it will wake up the pc
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• CCTV_Spud_
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Nov 2004

That program will allow you to shutdown the pc from a command prompt, so o would assume you could setup a macro to run that program to shut the pc down, as to starting it back up that is more interesting as the option to restart the pc if ac power failed only works if the pc does not do a proper shutdown.

The power switch on most pc’s are soft switches so maybe you could design some sort of small relay that when it get’s power it flicks open for about 1 second and then off again, then connect it to the mobo power connector to turn it on and off.

Comment

• MccLtd
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • May 2006

Could you not use the X10 device that is used for electric garage doors.
          I cant remember what its called but basically it has some normally open relay contacts.
          I have mine set up so that when I push a command on my comfort alarm it tells the garage door x10 device to pulse the contacts for 1 second.
          This inturn opens or closes the garage door.
          You could run your PC's power switch to this device and set the pc up so that when the power button is pushed it shutsdown, then when you pulse it again it will turn it on.
          The only problem you would have is finding a way to monitor whether it was on or off.

I also have a relay contact in my comfort linked to the reset button on my server so that if it ever locks up (its micrsoft so it does) I can ring in to my home and tell comfort to basically push the rest button.
          Regards,

Da\/e.
          webshopwww.medwaycomputers.co.uk
          PCbuild shopwww.instantpc.co.uk
          Our new Forum:www.hardwareit.co.uk
          One Stop PC-I.T Shop

Comment

• Ric
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Apr 2004

Some more info might be handy - such as the machine's OS and whether it supports WOL.

Assuming that your machine does support WOL, there are free utilities for sending the magic packets and these could easily be scripted to work off a trigger - this does of course rely upon another machine being 'always-on'.

For Windows the shutdown bit is easy, there is a command 'shutdown', type it at the command prompt with the /help switch and you will get the options...

shutdown -f -h -c computername

should shutdown the machine remotely from another Windows box (check the syntax though - I'm not using a Windows box at the moment... sorry.
            Ric Charlton

always trying but not always successful

Comment

• noel-pilot
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • May 2005

Originally posted by CCTV_Spud_ View Post
              http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sshutdown.mspx
              as to starting it back up that is more interesting as the option to restart the pc if ac power failed only works if the pc does not do a proper shutdown.

'fraid thats not quite correct. As far as I'm aware (and certainly on the 3 pc's i've done this on) it doesn't make any difference whether its been shutdown or not. As long as you cut AC power completely for more than about 15 seconds then when you restore they will come back to life again!!! As long as your mobo supports restore after AC power loss.

This is exactly what I've done with an applicance module and my server pc. I have SOL running with a script from XBMC to shutdown....just need to find a suitable script to do the same from my Mac OSX to save me having to use VNC when I'm on the mac instead of the xbox!!

Hope that helps,

remaining power on/off challenge for me is my xbox! Its the one thing I have to get up to turn on manually!

Comment

• TimH
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by noel-pilot View Post
                remaining power on/off challenge for me is my xbox! Its the one thing I have to get up to turn on manually!
                Noel,

There's a few hacks out there for remote on/off for the Xbox, e.g.:

I've no personal experience of either but if you search www.ukha-archive.com there's some more info/feedback there

The alternative is to wedge the power button 'on' (bit of cable tie etc.) and use an appliance module to turn the box on/off.

HTH,

Tim.
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

• noel-pilot
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by TimH View Post
                  Noel,

The alternative is to wedge the power button 'on' (bit of cable tie etc.) and use an appliance module to turn the box on/off.

HTH,

Tim.

Cheers for that, very intrigued by this wedging of the power button, can't visualise for the life of me how this would work, anyone got any pics?!!

thank you

noel

Comment

• TimH
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by noel-pilot View Post
                    Cheers for that, very intrigued by this wedging of the power button, can't visualise for the life of me how this would work, anyone got any pics?!!
                    noel
                    No pics, but it came up on the UKHA_D list (see: http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ead.php?t=1335 )

You need to wedge a bit of plastic between the power button and the side of the case to hold it on, so as you look at the front of the box the plastic comes out towards you. (imagine you're trying to hold down the space bar on your keyboard, you'd need to wedge something between the bar itself and the plastic surround at the bottom of the keyboard).

HTH,

Tim.
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• noel-pilot
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • May 2005

cool, cheers for that, will have a play,
                      just looked at the link for the easyIR kit, didn't realise they were that easy to fit!
                      very tempting!!

thanks all

Noel

Comment

Working...
                      X