• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CT1
    Automated Home Guru
    • Apr 2016

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    You had one (in fact I did too!) and it worked on the V2 controllers. It was just stupidly expensive. Bring that back at a decent price, I am sure the functionality is already in your code base. Like so many other things (cough..)
    An external sensor could help some people, but not every house would have a suitable location for a sensor that was out of the sun and out of the wind, eg terraced house could struggle. Also it would not deal with the problem of some rooms having high solar gain while others have none.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

So is all weather compensation abandoned if the Internet weather feed cannot be retrieved.
      If you disconnect the WiFi connection you'll see that all smart features that rely on an outside temperature reading either disable themselves or magically vanish from the UI altogether. (The disappearing act in the UI caught me by surprise the first time)

Whether they gracefully fall back if the device still has a WiFi connection but just has difficulty reaching the servers for a period of time or keep using stale data is another question. I'm sure if you wanted to you could try firewalling the Evotouch's internet connection to see what happened.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by CT1 View Post
        An external sensor could help some people, but not every house would have a suitable location for a sensor that was out of the sun and out of the wind, eg terraced house could struggle. Also it would not deal with the problem of some rooms having high solar gain while others have none.
        Your choices are : An internet weather feed for your entire city/town. A local sensor on your house that might not have a great location.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
          If you disconnect the WiFi connection you'll see that all smart features that rely on an outside temperature reading either disable themselves or magically vanish from the UI altogether. (The disappearing act in the UI caught me by surprise the first time)

Whether they gracefully fall back if the device still has a WiFi connection but just has difficulty reaching the servers for a period of time or keep using stale data is another question. I'm sure if you wanted to you could try firewalling the Evotouch's internet connection to see what happened.
          So lets say Cold Boost was in play and the Wifi drops. Does the set point drop as though Cold Boost was disabled. Or will the Cold Boost set point still remain. I understand that weather compensation functions might not start if there is no WiFi. My question was, having started, what happens if the WiFi drops.

Comment

• CT1
            Automated Home Guru
            • Apr 2016

Your choices are : An internet weather feed for your entire city/town. A local sensor on your house that might not have a great location.
            I am fortunate to have a good location for my existing outside temperature monitor, but I doubt that temperatue compensation could cope with the significant solar gain that I get in some rooms, even in the depths of winter. I will be very interested to see how you pioneers get on, but until then this feature will stay disabled.

Comment

• SteveP
              Automated Home Guru
              • Dec 2012

today at 08:52 I have the following o/s temp readings
              1 - evohome 12C
              2 - Accuweather 14C
              3 - my digital outside temp gauge 15.2C
              so still unclear why Evohome is lagging so far behind

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

@ally153 If we are making a list of bugs that are not fixed in .33 here is one.
                When radiator valves are used on all radiators, Evohome's normal advice is not to use a zone valve on the CH circuit. However since .31 when you put Heating Off on the controller, all the manual overrides from radiator valves are ignored. In previous versions, they were not, but I think that was a bug (even though some of us loved it).
                However now that manual override stays on the radiator valve but ofcourse the boiler never fires. So the person who made the manual override has no idea why.
                Things get quite interesting when the HW kicks in, in this situation, which could be several hours or days later. Because there is no zone valve on the CH circuit but the radiator valve is completely open, due to the manual override made at some point, that radiator gets toasty. And no one even realises it and why.

During Heating Off, the controller should resend the Off set point at various intervals, so that atleast any valves opened are closed again and it always provides a visual clue to the person that something is stopping the manual override.

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

During Heating Off, the controller should resend the Off set point at various intervals
                  Good call.

Comment

• anniesboy
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Aug 2019

Just to add balance to temperature readings,i just checked mine

1=evohome 16
                    2=accuweather 16
                    3= 0regon weather station 16.4

So no lag

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by anniesboy View Post
                      Just to add balance to temperature readings,i just checked mine

1=evohome 16
                      2=accuweather 16
                      3= 0regon weather station 16.4

So no lag
                      Or the temperature hasn't changed much over the past few hours.

Lag is most visible during the earlier mornings and evenings. Less so at mid-day.

P.

Comment

• ally153
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Nov 2014

[QUOTE=DBMandrake;43031]As far as I can see the code doesn't need to know whether there was a manual override set before before Eco mode was enabled (and therefore be trying to restore anything later) because cancelling Eco mode already cancels all manual set point overrides and goes back to the scheduled temperature (follow schedule mode) anyway - just like every other quick action change. So there's nothing special for it to do.
                        From memory, if you set a timed Eco/Boost, if there are overrides in place, they will continue to run if the time Eco finishes before them, but we reduce the setpoint of the override along with the other zones, which causes the complication. I expect this issue can be fixed relatively easily, but I always want to approach these problems with an abundance of caution so I don’t fix something for you just to create a new problem further down the line.

The way it tries to add the Eco/Boost offset on top of manual overrides is quite a significant problem IMHO, there's going to be a few very puzzled people when they try to apply manual overrides with Eco/Boost set and find that it is "fighting" them. It makes getting the desired manual override a bit of a chore even when you do understand what's going on.
                        I completely understand how annoying the override issue could get!

Agreed. I saw similar improvements in my graphs this spring with 19.31. Load scaling is great for warmer weather with light demands (I no longer have to manually turn down my flow temperature in summer) and also schedules where the house may be in equilibrium for a few hours and then a zone like a bedroom is scheduled to come on - with no load scaling that bedroom would bring the boiler demand instantly to 100% and remain there for perhaps half an hour until the zone started to approach the set point, this would inevitably cause uncomfortable overshoots in other rooms like the Living room that were previously in a nice equilibrium state as those rooms were not expecting a sudden step change in flow temperature. I noticed this a lot last winter.
                        Perfect, this is exactly what we were aiming for and what we had seen in our test lab and homes – great to see feedback from the field seeing the same improvements.

So is all weather compensation abandoned if the Internet weather feed cannot be retrieved.
                        Yes, when outside temperature information disappears, we cancel all active weather & optimisations in effect and re-calculate the setpoint.

Originally posted by CT1 View Post
                        I wholeheartedly agree with DBM that it is well past time that the battery management issue for the controller was addressed.
                        The battery management code does cover topping up batteries. I believe the problem with battery management stems from contact issues. The workaround I’ve been given for those affected by this issue is to try cleaning the contacts on both ends your unit and the battery ends too.

You had one (in fact I did too!) and it worked on the V2 controllers. It was just stupidly expensive. Bring that back at a decent price, I am sure the functionality is already in your code base. Like so many other things (cough..)
                        You're absolutely right, we did and actually we did have debug screens to allow us to test the weather features internally. Those screens haven’t been translated into all countries Evo is offered to and so isn’t in the released software as we didn’t want to compromise the user experience.

The sensor we used to produce, as you’ve mentioned was expensive if you are only using it for a temperature reading and has been made obsolete (some of the components can’t even be sourced anymore, with no alternate parts, so literally we can’t produce that device even if we wanted to).

None of this rules out support for an external sensor either via OT and/or a proprietary sensor in the future, there simply wasn’t enough time and resource in this project to accomplish either.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                          Site Sponsor
                          • Dec 2014

Wow, 45 pages of this... Would have been great to have been tagged at the start.

Hi everyone, hope you are well?

Comment

• paulockenden
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
                            Would have been great to have been tagged at the start.
                            Keep up at the back! ;-)

Comment

• SteveP
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Dec 2012

Accu weather 14c
                              Digital weather station gauge 13.7c
                              Evohome 17c !!
                              Que??? Someat not quite right me thinks 🤣

Comment

• anniesboy
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Aug 2019

Mine is ok

Accu =14

Digital weather station =15.1

Evohome =14

Met Office =15

I have noticed evohome takes a minute or so to update

Comment

Working...
                                X