• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rarem
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2009

Power Points

I've been wondering what people here do about power points. I never seem to have enough sockets!

For example around my computer desk I am using two 6 socket extension leads and two 4 socket extension leads i.e. I really need 20 sockets instead of the two or three that I have.

My AV cupboard is even worse - I need 22 sockets. My house only has double gang sockets but I'd prefer a more elegant/safer/better solution than using multiple extension leads.

Are there any elegant solutions for multiple sockets for installation in the wall?
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

good quality six or whatever socket strips are pretty inexpensive, sometimes cheaper than wall-sockets, and current-wise the demands are quite modest, so our plan is to neatly bury everything (13A sockets, wall-warts, USB & Ethernet & CT100 patch-panels, whatever) inside box compartments fronted by drop-down (sometimes lift-up) flaps with notches along one edge for the leads to come out - hinge(s) on the lower edge, notches in the upper edge (so cables stay in-place as the flap is opened & closed) and an inconspicuous gap top & bottom and/or at each end for ventilation (might, depending on how warm things get, have to add a small low-speed (quiet) PC fan to help things along), and the box either buried in the wall or (more often) incorporated within built-in furniture installations, with MDF for the box & flap ...

socket strips come with various lengths of lead (0.5m to 10m), so mostly we'll use the shortest ones, but also include a longer one, sometimes, for pulling out when needed ...

anyway, that's what we're in the process of doing ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 7 November 2009, 03:41 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• katman
      • Jan 2004

As Chris said, the actual power demands of most stuff is really quite low so there is nothing wrong with using multiway socket strips.

I tend to fit them into my AV cabinets so that you only have one or two mains leads emerging from the cabinet to the socket on the wall.

Another advantage of doing that is for energy saving. Stuff that NEEDS to be on 24/7 goes on the RED plugboard, stuff that is used during the day on the YELLOW plugboard, and stuff that needs to OFF most of the time on the GREEN plugboard

You can then turn off unwanted equipment to prevent it wasting power on standby.

To mount the power strips I usually mount them vertically using the keyhole screws and then use a small right angle bracket screwed to the cabinet to stop it getting pusshed off its screws accidently. (plugboard with proper front mounting holes seem to be a rarety these days)
      KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
      http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• rarem
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Sep 2009

Thanks for the feedback guys. And, whilst I am dissappointed that there's not some vastly overpriced modular and beautifully designed 20 socket panel for me to buy, I must admit that the six socket extensions do make some sense.

Especially if neatly mounted on pegboard in a cabinet. I also really like the idea of colour coding the strips as to what can safely switched off.

I recently bought a Wattson electricity meter and have been astounded to find that even when I thought I was using only very little electricity that my background usage level was about 400w. That equates to about £400 per year that I reckon I can easily slash by about £300.

And buy more gadgets with the proceeds obviously...

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

In Spain it is possible to roll your own wall sockets. Simon ( http.//www.simon.es ) do a panel that can fit I think 12 sockets might be a few more can't remember exactly.
          Sorry doesn't really help you though.
          What about those floor mounted boxes you see in offices that have mains sockets in them. There is no reason why you can't mount them in the wall.
          such as http://www.minitran.co.uk/pages/prod...facturer=Mini5
          Another option could be something like this:

Don't know if regulation wise it is allowed to amount them in the wall though.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• rarem
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Sep 2009

Thanks Toscal - that's a great pointer.

Spain, Italy and Germany seem to be streets ahead on this type of thing.

Comment

• TimH
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by rarem View Post
              Thanks for the feedback guys. And, whilst I am dissappointed that there's not some vastly overpriced modular and beautifully designed 20 socket panel for me to buy,
              Have a look at Olson:

These guys produce quality gear and the prices for the higher-way units look excellent - i.e. the price per socket really falls when you look at the 10/12 socket units.

HTH,

Tim.
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

ah, well, if it was expensive you were after, then see Eubiq - good ideas, price not right yet (ISTM) :

their Premium range looks better, lots of power track options, neat & presentable - power & comm's, high density, too ... and from Malaysia, not Germany or Spain !

Chris
                Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 22 November 2009, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

Oh wow that Eubiq GSS thing looks good. A kind of structured wiring for power.
                  Though it needs to come in more colours as it still looks a bit industrial.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Dec 2007

aye, their classic range is not so attractive, but their SFC2 tracks & Premium adapters etc are much better ...

they seem to be gaining momentum, with new bits & pieces coming out quite often, now ...

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

happened on this just now - a maybe useful option from IKEA :

Browse our full range of products from dressing tables to complete modern kitchens. Click here to find the right IKEA product for you. Shop online and in store today.

great minds think alike, or something like that (not exactly the same - our idea was to have notches rather than slots, for the wires to come out, to hinge the lid to allow more orientations, and to build it in flush - but pretty close) !
                      Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 27 November 2009, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• toscal
                        • Oct 2005

Ikea come up with some nice ideas. But I would never buy from Ikea. Not impressed with their quality. A while ago we did an office refurb, and a lot of their original lighting was from Ikea. Considering the price they paid for them the build quality was awful. The insulation had started to break down. The lights had only been in for about 18 months.
                        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Dec 2007

aye - our experience is that lighting that stands the test of time isn't cheap lighting ... OTOH, while a lot of what they offer is questionable, quality-wise (IOW they'e probably driven the price too low) we've also found plenty of good stuff at IKEA - 'think we'd always want to see it first, before committing !

Comment

• toscal
                            • Oct 2005

Just thought I would post a link to the stuff I will be putting into the kitchen next week. Well the back boxes go in next week. The kitchen doesn't arrive until 10/11th December

Its in Spanish but you should get a good idea from the photos and drawings etc.
                            Still haven't decided on colour of the face plates yet. I will leave that up to the wife.

This is a link to the microsite http://www.simon.es/sites/centralizaciones/
                            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Dec 2007

exciting stuff !

the wall mounting unit on page 11 looks a good idea, too - switches on the slope above, sockets on the slope below ...

Comment

Working...
                              X