What's the best way to log room temps and set points - IFTTT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack007
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2018

Having played around I can see the benefit of having Domoticz running on a dedicated system so I've ordered a Raspberry Pi - thanks for leading me to another learning curve and another pile of "to-do"s ;-)
    I forgot to ask; What kind of RPi did you get?

Comment

• DorrisMancer
      Automated Home Guru
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Jack007 View Post
      I forgot to ask; What kind of RPi did you get?
      A 3B+, as a safe option in my ignorant state.

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

A 3B+ will happily run Domoticz. But do be aware that Raspberry Pis are notorious for chewing through the limited write-lifetime of SD cards. There's all kinds of tricks available to minimise this if you google it.

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
          A 3B+ will happily run Domoticz. But do be aware that Raspberry Pis are notorious for chewing through the limited write-lifetime of SD cards. There's all kinds of tricks available to minimise this if you google it.
          The best thing to do is buy high quality SD cards and of reasonable size if you want reliability and longevity. The write endurance difference between an el-cheapo and a good name brand like Samsung or Sandisk is huge, something like an order of magnitude.

I used to do a lot of development and testing on Pi's that required a lot of re-imaging of the cards and I destroyed about five different cheap 8GB SD cards in the space of two years. The failure mode is nearly always the same - the card goes silently read only so it continues to accept writes and pretend to the operating system that the data is being written but nothing on the card really changes - it remains frozen at one point in time, and this really confuses the hell out of the operating system.

If you buy a card with higher write performance it usually has better wear levelling algorithms and write endurance - a card intended for video recording/dashcams etc is a good choice for write endurance. I've had no problems with Samsung Evo cards or Sandisk Extreme Pro either in Pi's or Dashcams...

Also, the bigger the card is the more natural write endurance it has all else being equal as the writes can be spread across more cells. Even though the application might only call for an 8GB card, a 32GB card is so cheap these days you might as well get the bigger size and it will last a LOT longer as it would have 4x the write endurance for the same series of card.

Going from a cheap no-name brand 8GB card to a high write performance known brand 32GB card can increase the write endurance by 10, 20x or more....to the point where it will last for years running a regular distribution like Raspbian without special log pruning tweaks etc.

I have a Pi running on a 16GB Sandisk Extreme card - it does graphing of my Evohome system using Evohome-Munin (it also used to run Domoticz but I shut that down a year ago) it receives outside data from my weather station for graphing using an RTL-SDR adaptor, it is also the DHCP and DNS server for the network. It has been going for years now without a hiccup.

By the way, although it runs quite hot, for non video playback uses the Pi 4 is outstanding and dramatically faster and more capable than previous models - especially the USB ports. I have a Pi 4 running Volumio for audio playback and it does this job far better than any previous model especially when using a USB DAC due to finally having a proper USB implementation. For something like Domoticz I would recommend a Pi 4 although the Pi 3+ is more than capable.
          Last edited by DBMandrake; 2 March 2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• DorrisMancer
            Automated Home Guru
            • Nov 2017

It seems fortuitous that I opted for a Sandisk 32Gb card.

Although I like Domoticz I'd thought it would enable detailed info for a period to be displayed, but it seems that it will only display detail for a 7 day period. My memory of the graphs available from ConradConnect (before they started charging) is that they were more useful than those from Domoticz. What other options are there for displaying detailed info from Evohome?
            What is Evohome-Munin?

Comment

• DBMandrake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by DorrisMancer View Post
              It seems fortuitous that I opted for a Sandisk 32Gb card.

Although I like Domoticz I'd thought it would enable detailed info for a period to be displayed, but it seems that it will only display detail for a 7 day period. My memory of the graphs available from ConradConnect (before they started charging) is that they were more useful than those from Domoticz. What other options are there for displaying detailed info from Evohome?
              What is Evohome-Munin?
              Evohome-munin is a python plugin for the monitoring/graphing software Munin.

Although I didn't write it originally I've been defacto maintaining it for the last couple of years by submitting PR's to the author - I'm not sure if he still has an Evohome system or not but he seems to accept my PR's...

It will graph zone temperatures as well as hot water. It's supposed to graph outside temperature as well using an internet based forecast but that seems to be broken at the moment due to the python weather API it uses (pywapi) no longer working - and I haven't had time to figure out why it's not working. (I run a bespoke version of the script which reads the actual temperature from my outdoor weather station instead by using an RTL-SDR receiver)

Here's an example graph:

I prefer its graphs over Domoticz because they are much larger and more detailed, have day, week, month and year summary graphs, and provided you set the data retention policy in munin correctly you can get full daily resolution data recorded for a whole year, so you can go back to a certain month 6 months ago and keep zooming in down to the day level in that month. (It has click and drag zoom on the graphs)

Because it uses the V1 Honeywell API it records temperatures to two decimal places without the usual rounding you see on the controller.

I won't lie - it's not as easy as Domoticz to set up, its a fairly manual set up process which cobbles together a few different bits and pieces and you need some reasonable familiarity with Linux to get it up and running, including installing and configuring Munin itself - something which I myself have only done once about 4 years ago!

If you do want to give it a go feel free to ask me about it - although I'm not that familiar with Munin itself, I do know the Evohome munin plugin quite well even though I haven't touched the code for a while.

Hardware requirements aren't very demanding - I'm running it on an original Pi 1 with 16GB SD card.
              Last edited by DBMandrake; 2 March 2021, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• DorrisMancer
                Automated Home Guru
                • Nov 2017

Hmmm, Munin sounds much better than Domoticz BUT I don't speak Linux, have never looked at Python and already have enough things on the todo list to fill my days until the end of time.

It's slightly surprising that Honeywell don't differentiate themselves by offering a logging and analysis option, but the Evohome product manager seems to lack an innovative spark so maybe it's not that surprising. What's more surprising is that some entrepreneurial soul (without an over-full todo list) hasn't filled the vacuum by offering a package that provides the function and which is extensible to work with the other smart heating systems - if successful they might then be bought-out by ... Honeywell! If only my todo list had space

Comment

• zxdavb
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Jan 2018

Open source home automation that puts local control and privacy first. Powered by a worldwide community of tinkerers and DIY enthusiasts. Perfect to run on a Raspberry Pi or a local server.

I wonder if it’s because advanced_override is not being supported, rather than W/2349 not being supported? @setpoint.setter def setpoint(self, value) -> None: """Set the target temperature, until the next scheduled setpoint.""" if value is None: self.reset_mode() else: self.set_override(mode="advanced_override", setpoint=value) I could change the above to: @setpoint.setter def setpoint(self, value) -> None: """Set the tar...

The integration is a WIP - but HA is a very polished product.

Comment

• guyank
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by zxdavb View Post
                    https://www.home-assistant.io/

I wonder if it’s because advanced_override is not being supported, rather than W/2349 not being supported? @setpoint.setter def setpoint(self, value) -> None: """Set the target temperature, until the next scheduled setpoint.""" if value is None: self.reset_mode() else: self.set_override(mode="advanced_override", setpoint=value) I could change the above to: @setpoint.setter def setpoint(self, value) -> None: """Set the tar...

The integration is a WIP - but HA is a very polished product.
                    There’s also a standard integration that provides the data through the V1 API. There are InfluxDB and Grafana add ons to Home Assistant that allow for pretty simple graphing.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

That reminds me, I really must look at home assistant...

Comment

• zxdavb
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Jan 2018

The Official integration uses *both* RESTful (web-based) APIs (I know, I wrote it ) - the newer API for the best functionality, the older API provides high-precision temperatures (0.01) for zones.

The WIP integration uses an RF dongle (about £25) to eavesdrop the RAMSES-II protocol and provide more functionality, and removing the needs to have a TCC account (although it is still a WIP in progress).

Home Assistant is very polished & talks to everything.

Comment

• guyank
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by zxdavb View Post
                          The Official integration uses *both* RESTful (web-based) APIs (I know, I wrote it ) - the newer API for the best functionality, the older API provides high-precision temperatures (0.01) for zones.

The WIP integration uses an RF dongle (about £25) to eavesdrop the RAMSES-II protocol and provide more functionality, and removing the needs to have a TCC account (although it is still a WIP in progress).

Home Assistant is very polished & talks to everything.
                          I'd guessed the temps came from V1 because of the improvement in accuracy since my move from SmartThings. Before I jump in and buy anything, would the dongle that Bruce is proposing here work with Home Assistant?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

The dongle referred to above is the NanoCUL. The new platform is basically an upgrade to the NanoCUL. Both will work with Home Assistant or any other platform that supports the HGI80, for that matter. Infact the NanoCUL and the new platform, use the same (similar) firmware. We started hitting the limits of what could be achieved by using a SW UART on the NanoCUL, and so had to move to a HW UART based platform.

Comment

• zxdavb
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by guyank View Post
                              I'd guessed the temps came from V1 because of the improvement in accuracy since my move from SmartThings. Before I jump in and buy anything, would the dongle that Bruce is proposing here work with Home Assistant?
                              Bruce is one of the experts on the hardware side - he is an authoritative source of information.

TL;DR: yes

Comment

• DorrisMancer
                                Automated Home Guru
                                • Nov 2017

Domoticz on RPi refusing to connect

When I first got Domoticz running on an RPi I could connect to it but now I get "192.168.1.227 refused to connect." It's still alive because I can ping it. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                X