• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliconPixel
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2007

Sold my HA enabled house :(

So a bitter sweet time - have recently sold my fully HA enabled house (Comfort, CBus, Cat5e everywhere, audio/video distribution, CCTV etc). I'll miss so much of it but had to move on. Unfortunately new house is brand new (being built) and developer isn't interested in doing any additional cabling (to be expected).

One question for anyone that has sold an HA enabled house - how did you deal with offering extras such as whole house audio? I'm thinking that the cabling will obviously stay but will offer amps etc separately as an extra. Not sure about wall controllers though. Maybe offer them and if not, fit blanking plates???

Node 0 could be tricky as so much will have to come out.

Paul.
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

It depends how intrinsic the HA is to the house operation - Say if you remove some elements, will the lights fail to operate?

I personally would remove the Comfort Panel as this is still quite expensive to replace and the suppliers are few and far between (in the UK). As for CCTV, I might remove the cameras depending on how expensive they were.

Home Audio (unless Sonos), I would leave / offer for sale, as removal of ceiling speakers would create whacking great holes in the ceiling....

Something also to consider is absolving yourself of 'aftercare support' if you choose to any system - I imagine that phone calls asking me how to pair my iPhone with the Audio System would get tiresome after a while

Vangelis

Comment

• SiliconPixel
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • May 2007

Thanks - good points

I had already thought to leave the speakers, even though they're pretty decent and reasonably expensive. Replacing with cheaper ones probably isn't worth it as I'm not sure I'd use the better ones again anyway.

Comfort - mmm, they requested the alarm in the initial offer. It's an older version of comfort anyway but does have a lot of zones. I think the new house will sadly have a lot less HA in it and will rely on wifi and other wireless technologies more - i'll certainly be sad to loose the 7km or so of Cat5e in the house!

Comment

• Vangelis
        Automated Home Guru
        • Sep 2009

You could always put a bog-standard alarm system in (just a case of replumbing the wired zones), however if its integrated with CBus, this might be more challenging.

I have hooked my current HA system into Comfort with the IP network (UCM/Eth2) - This way I can use the hardwired sensors as part of the Occupancy sensing etc

Its weird that the developer of the new house won't run Cat5e (thought this was the norm nowerdays). However if you do want WiFi for say your Audio system, my Sonos has been rock solid without Cat5e

Vangelis

Comment

• Digizz
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Feb 2004

Sonos might be on the cards although I don't listen to music very often - radio yes.

Unfortunately the developer doesn't even seem to know what Cat5e is, let alone offer to run it this means I'm going to have to retro-fit some, even though they're running BT cabling from house to home office over the garage etc.

Comment

• TimH
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by SiliconPixel View Post
            Unfortunately new house is brand new (being built) and developer isn't interested in doing any additional cabling (to be expected).
            Might the developer compromise and run some ducting to allow you to pull cables later? (or let you put ducting in before the walls are plastered) I can see he wouldn't want the hassle of being blamed for a non-working cable, but putting in some "dumb" trunking can't be that risky, can it?

HTH,
            Tim.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
            X